• Register Today It's free!

Remote trans filter installed...

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
OK, so I finally installed my Perma-Cool remote trans filter.

Brooklyn is right, the PRESSURE line is the one on the BOTTOM of the radiator.

On my '99 Ranger 4.0 OHV, that pressure line goes in to the trans cooler on the RIGHT side (as you are looking at the truck from the front).

I installed the filter at this line, before it enters the tranny cooler. Real easy since I didn't have to cut metal radiator lines, just rubber.

I mounted the filter inside the passenger's side fender well, on the plastic black "box" that sits around the radiator/trans cooler. I didn't trust mounting to plastic, so I went to Lowes and bought a metal double outlet box cover (flat, metal, 4" X 4", .65 cents). It was the perfect backing plate!!!

No change in shifting (some concerned about a pressure drop). Success!!!;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but there is a problem with this location. It should be mounted on the line after the cooler (between the cooler & the return of the transmission). Hot fluid will lower the life of the filter. There is one advantage to your location. It will filter debris from entering into the cooler instead of filtering cooler fluid coming out of the cooler.

Brooklyn, I just remember reading on here somewhere that it was recommended to filter before the cooler, so that's why I did it.

It would literally take me 10 minutes to change it to after the cooler.

I did plan on changing the filter every-other oil change, so I'm thinking it will be fine. What do you think?

Hmmm...will a meat thermometer do?!!! Lol. All I have, heh.

Or, I can spin the filter off quickly and stick the probe inside the filter so it's submerged in hot tranny fluid. This will obviously be an approximation since the truck won't be running. I'll try both methods and let you know.

That might not be accurate enough since it will have time to cool while the truck is off, but it might be close if you remove it right after it gets to the normal operating temperature. Be careful with hot fluid.:fire:

Back