Remove Front License Plate Bracket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove Front License Plate Bracket

green_sea_urchin

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 LTD
I just took delivery of a 2011 Limited. I told the dealer to leave off the front plate and dealer decals, but the front plate is mounted. Anyone know how to remove it (such that it is still aesthetically pleasing)? I already know how to rip it off! It seems to be some plastic rivet. I'd rather get rid off it instead of shopping for some cool new front plate! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well since I think you are the first person I have seen on here with one, you might be on your own with this one unfortunately. If they are plastic rivets they could just be push pins. Only way to find out right now is to mess around with it. You may have to put something in place of the rivets/push pins when you get it off; maybe a cap

I'm fairly certain the factory puts this on for vehicles going to states that require it (could also be for ALL vehicles regardless of destination) so I wouldn't burn down your dealership just yet. There were pictures of explorers on the assembly line with it on already.

35413143.jpeg

Yeah, in fact it was on the window sticker prior to arriving at the dealer so I already suspected that. I had no beef with the dealer. I just wish I could get it off!

When I was buying my GTO, I told the dealership 8 months in advance that if they put the front plate on or put ANY dealership branding anywhere, they just lost a sale. This is also in a state that requires it. In 7 years I've been pulled over once by a rookie state trooper who was a complete @ss.

Trooper - "I know this is a pretty nice car but it's the law."
Me - "Put yourself in my shoes. Would you put holes through your front fender for a license plate you guys don't even use?"
Trooper - "Honestly no I wouldn't, but it's the law"
Me - "Well give me a warning then (you hypocritical @ss)"
Trooper - <Hands over ticket>

I can't get away with this on the Explorer because the wife will actually drive it and I'd rather throw it on than hear her complain about it every damn day :rolleyes:

I'm fairly certain the factory puts this on for vehicles going to states that require it (could also be for ALL vehicles regardless of destination) so I wouldn't burn down your dealership just yet. There were pictures of explorers on the assembly line with it on already.

35413143.jpeg
Now, after seeing this picture, I know why they call it a 'clam shell' hood. :D

Saw 3 at the dealer 2 had the plate on and one didn't, all three listed on the sticker as having it and I can say it looks much better without and these were pa cars that don't need them!

I just took delivery of a 2011 Limited. I told the dealer to leave off the front plate and dealer decals, but the front plate is mounted. Anyone know how to remove it (such that it is still aesthetically pleasing)? I already know how to rip it off! It seems to be some plastic rivet. I'd rather get rid off it instead of shopping for some cool new front plate! Thanks.

Easy to remove...I just removed mine today. Go to Home Depot (or similar) and buy a pair of "SMALL" flat nosed wire cutters. Not your normal wire cutters, but the kind that has a flat face perpendicular to the handles so you can open them slightly, then slide the edges around the two plastic pop rivets holding the bracket to the black plastic part of the bumper.

My dealer actually gave me two push-in black plastic rivets (nothing needed on the inside) that are almost flat, but slightly rounded on the head. They plugged the two holes (not that they even needed plugs...they're unnoticeable).

I removed mine per earlier instructions. I drilled out the plastic rivets. They pulled out easily after drilling them out. I have not plugged the holes because I don't have a plug. The holes are not very noticable.

I picked up some plugs that matched the mat black bumper pretty well at either Pep Boys or AutoZone (I don't remember which one). They have a similar texture and mat black color.

See the previous threads about removing the bracket, it also gives you almost the exact plug needed for the holes. I removed mine when I first received the ex, hot a fix it ticket 1 month later, it's back on again.

Use a half inch wood chisel, flat side up into the rivet. Pop and pop, two seconds.

Are you guys prying them out or cutting them? If it's the latter, aren't the heads rattling around in the bumper somewhere?

Just brought my Sport home and I don't want to hurt it, haha.

Are you guys prying them out or cutting them? If it's the latter, aren't the heads rattling around in the bumper somewhere?

Just brought my Sport home and I don't want to hurt it, haha.

Sometimes both. I've seen some people use flat wirecutters or chisels to remove them. Some had success, while others pry out the head, break it, and the rest of the "bolt" rolls around inside. Others have tried using the cutters or chisels but sometimes scratch the bumper when they lost their grip on the plug--leaving a long scratch line. At this point, it's up to you on choosing the method as one method does not seem all that much better than the other.

Personally, I went with the drill method and it was flawless. Took a few minutes longer compared to the other processes presented, since I had to keep the drill steady. But once you break through, they're easy to remove.

Back