Removed running boards left holey rockers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removed running boards left holey rockers

Found post by Mounty09 from last year where he taped over the holes then covered with bed liner. My question is, tape over the outside or inside? It seems taping the back would give cleaner results?

Any one else have ideas to fill/cover the holes (both sets) prior to covering with bed liner?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tape would have been on the outside, and it wouldnt be visible after applying bedlinder. I dont know how you would access the inside. Some people have also used plastic rivets or plugs that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. Thats what I did, and then I painted the plugs to match the paint of the truck. If you search around some more, there are a few example pics somewhere.

What you can do is go to a junk yard and get the rockers from a vehicle that does not have running boards. The lower rocker covers are removable on those two and mount on the same holes.

Just use masking tape over the holes and then bedliner. The bedliner completly covers the tape and is not visible, then at the same time you can cover the bottom of the door frame where you step to protect it and cover up any scratches.

Thanks for the input. What I meant by taping the inside was the lower set of holes at the very bottom of the rocker. These are accessible at both sides.

My thought on taping over then applying bed liner was the durability. Some brands of bed liner say to use only over factory paint. Using over primed or re-painted surfaces will not bond properly.

What is your experience of durability when using bed liner over tape? And what type of tape? Masking tape? Duct tape? Painters tape? Is there a tape designed for body work?

I have been doing mechanical stuff for years, but am a noob in body and paint.

For the cleanest look, you could tape from the inside and use liquid metal or bondo or whatever you like to fill in the hole. Then sand it smooth and paint over it. As for adherence I haven't used it myself, but assuming you scuff the surface like it tells you to I don't see why it wouldn't stick to anything you wanted... or didn't as I've heard from a couple of people.

I pulled the trim off the rockers on my '01 and had the same holes to deal with. I bought aluminum tape and covered the holes from the outside, then sprayed the bedliner on. Worked perfectly. Never had any problems and you couldn't tell it was done.

Good Idea, I need to take that plastic crap off my rockers. I too would think scuffing up the surface would alloy for bondage, I personally would try to repair the holes normally with body putty.

Here's a pix of mine. All I did was sanded the paint lightly before applying the aluminum tape. Made sure I pressed the tape down firmly, then scuffed the surface of the tape with sandpaper and then put the liner on.

I wouldn't recommend bondo or putty because it's not flexible. You bump it on the trail or flex the body and it will pop. The aluminum tape will flex with the body.

4156skidplate5.jpg

Oh...that don't look bad, I first thought it would stick out. I may try that instead too. How many coats of bedliner? I've never messed with the stuff before.

why not fill it in with weld and grind flat?

why not fill it in with weld and grind flat?

Most people don't own a welder. I have a stick welder, but you can't stick weld very well on thin sheet metal.

I like the tape Idea. Welding up sheet metal holes isnt the best idea for a novice body man (no offense at all) who is "a noob" to body work...

Do the aluminum tape. I will be doing this on mine, and I am a fair sheet metal welder...

The holes in the rocker from those stupid running boards are filling up with mud every time I go out. it drives me NUTS! :rant:

Daniel

UMMMMMM JB WELD = no welding machine.... :D :p:

Ummmmmm JB Weld = hard and inflexible when completely set..so it might pop loose...also would have to work hard to sand it down smooth. Aluminum tape is simple, easy and quick, and it works quite well.:D:p:

UMMMMMMM but as mentioned before, JBWELD will not flex with the body, and given even a small impact or vibration it can become an obvious mistake pretty quickly.

(been there Done that... JBWELD is nothing more than Superglue on sterroids, and just as useful in automotive applications...IMO)

:D :p: ;) :salute: :D

Daniel

I bet if you grind the paint off and a spot for a good ground then any shop or some muffler shop would do it free, if not then buy them a box of donuts.

Even its a crappy weld, it will still grind down, better then half fasting it

So, bed liner on the rockers it is. Spray on or roll/brush on? Herculiner or other? What have you tried?

Anyone applied bed liner over chrome? If so, what prep steps?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mutineer and all the rest of ya folks....... :p::p::p::p:

Ok so now thats has be solved.... :D

If you have to hit rocks and debris on your rocker panels, then your truck is not high enough..... :D:salute:

Back