• Register Today It's free!

removing shifter boot???

4x4rob

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT (Lo-HP edition)
I'm in the process of installing a body lift on my '91 X but can't figure out how to remove the shifter boot (manual transmission and transfer case), or shifters for that matter.

I've detached the shifter boot from the floor, but can't figure out how to remove the knobs to get the boot over the shifters.

HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are hidden screws along the base ring. You'll find them. :cool:

Dont know about the manual transfer shifter, but the shifter/boot will come off by taking the nut off one side of the pinch bolt, then thread it on the other side, as you tighten it it will pull the pinch bolt loose, then the shifter stick will come off the stub shaft.

section525 said:
There are hidden screws along the base ring. You'll find them. :cool:

I already found them, but I can't get the boot over the knobs or figure out how to remove the shifters.

The knob just pulls straight off. Once you pull the knob off it won't stay on very tight anymore and you'll have to get a new one or glue the old one back on.

Edit:
I was thinking, if you have a manual transfer case than they may use a different type of knob. Do you have a picture?

Thanks. I removed the transmission shifter at the stub. The transfer case shifter is another story. The knob pulled off but removing it is a bear. It looks like it has to drop out the bottom with the gate.

Back