repaint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

repaint?

so i want to repaint my entire truck. only problem is it has some DEEP scratches(down to bare metal) what is the best way to paint it? do i have to strip all the paint to bare metal then prime it? or do i just prime over the current paint? i am doing this on a $600 truck, so i really dont care if i #### up - its my first time - i just want to learn how to do it. i will be getting a compressor and spray gun - will this be enough for a professional job? or do i need chemicals to take all the current paint off? any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would fill them with Evercoat skim coat. Sand it with 180 grit, fill it, and sand it smooth with 180, then prime.
Feather edge the light scratches with 180 grit on a DA sander, prime those scratches.
Every thing else, hit it with 320 ( including the primer ) clean, clean, clean and then paint it.

I repainted my X a couple months ago. I did a complete write up with pictures. I had an experienced body man help me. The thread was under body work and was called "Old explorer gets new paint". It will answer many of your questions.

One thing to remember if there is a scratch you have to make sure the paint isn't loose around the scratch because that is were flaking can start. Monmix is right, you don't have to sand old paint down to metal all the time.
Prep is the biggest part, that will make or break a good paint job and you can't rush it either.

Good luck

Since you don't care much if you mess it up and you're not looking for perfection, you might be a perfect candidate for Earl Shrieb or a Maaco $299 paint job. It is not the best but it will be at least 2 times better than you will do if you have never done this before. Just a thought.

well, im doing this more to learn than to try to get a perfect job. this isnt my daily driver so i really dont care if it looks like crap - but i want to TRY to make it look good.
i am thinking of buying these tools:

spray gun: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90977

compressor: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32357

what do you guys think? i know they are cheap, but will they do a satisfactory job? i mean i might want to do this again if i find i can do a good job the first time - are they worth it? or is it just best to get maaco? i want to do a three color scheme on my truck, so i dont want to pay maaco an arm and a leg for it. i have dealt with an airbrush, so i know how to paint, but im just used to a smaller scale

also, unclemeat, how is the paintjob holding up for ya? still look as great as in the pic u had in the writeup?

You know the gun will work fine because it's "PURPLE" and anything that is "PURPLE" is well worth it. I like the gravity fed guns, some people don't. As for the air compressor a two stage is better but this should work fine specially if you aren't using it every day. Looks like you are spending a LOT just to practice on one vehicle.

X~FACTOR said:
Since you don't care much if you mess it up and you're not looking for perfection, you might be a perfect candidate for Earl Shrieb or a Maaco $299 paint job. It is not the best but it will be at least 2 times better than you will do if you have never done this before. Just a thought.

I got one of those Maaco $300 paint jobs. Actually it was $350 because I went from green to black metallic. I have to say, Maaco does an awesome job! It looks bad@$$!!! I also did a lot of the prep work (Bondo, sanding), which saved me some money.

If you are ever going to get a MAACO job do ALL of the prep workl. My one buddy bought a truck with a new paint job. We found a Maaco sticker under the hood. Shortly after he bought it huge chunks of paint started to fly off. Another buddy had a old Camaro sprayed, and they painted right over dust and hair. I would personally rather do it myself. My Dad has been sucsessful painting his trucks with a 6hp 40 gallon compressor, but you do have to wait for the pressure drops, occasionally. You are getting an air dryer also I assume?

jgilbs,

The paint is holding up great. I have not had time to wet sand it yet. It is not that hard to paint a vehicle. The best way to learn is to do it. Most of the work is the prep, sanding, and taping. If you do a base coat clear coat finish you get an extra margin of error because you can wet sand flaws out of the clear coat. It was my first time and I learned a lot about painting a vehicle. Go for it.

i'd say you can pull it off yourself as well......

474045_49.jpg

474045_55.jpg

474045_38.jpg

Like the others said...prep is where its at

Also practice painting on an old wheel barrel or something first. Obviously you don't want to waste too much paint doing it but it will let you get used to your gun and learn how to adjust the spray and what not w/o actually shooting on the vehicle.

Back