How to: - Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex. | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
So it seems the blender door(and its hinge) is no longer the issue as with
2nd Gen Explorers, but instead, its the actuater itself?

2 big thumbs up for this post!!!

Regards,

NM

I opened my blend door motor assembly up just like he did on his picture & in deed the little black gear was missing half of it's teeth.. this reassured me I was on the right track like I thought I was..

Now all works perfectly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed the Blend Door Motor based on your work instructions & it was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. And I encourage anyone trying this to heed his suggestions at first try to take it out, WITHOUT cutting the dash. Because I was able to do this.. I am not, mechanically inclined.. or, patient. LOL But it came out relatively easy & the only thing that took any time, was matching up the plastic pin that is polarized to fit in, only one way.. after that.. it slid right in.

So, thanks again VERY much. This saved me & many more people I'm sure A LOT of money.

Most Excellent walk thru!!

(Now, if I can only find these very same instructions for an 02 Quad Cab Dodge truck... a buddy of mine has the same problem, blend door motor & he's been quoted $800+ for the repair)

Now next job is the Drivers side rear door... Window Regulator replacement...

Good times!

So it seems the blender door(and its hinge) is no longer the issue as with
2nd Gen Explorers, but instead, its the actuater itself?

2 big thumbs up for this post!!!

Regards,

NM

Thanks guys! :biggthump

timp123, Here is a great thread for replacing the window regulator, thanks to Dr_Z for this great link http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243401

Good luck with the fix!! :D

No problem. :biggthump
Posted via Mobile Device

I know it's been said a hundred times but thanks for the great instructions BigRondo, they made the job a sinch, easily done in less than 2 hours.
I was concerned that my blend door might be bad as well but I found that by removing the actuator shaft form the old actuator and inserting it into the blend door and moving it around by hand I was able to ***** the condition of the door easily.

You're welcome!! Great idea with the shaft to test the blend door. :thumbsup:

I have an 03 with dual zone climate control (no manual control), is the procedure and part # the same? Do you know if two actuators are used?

I have an 03 with dual zone climate control (no manual control), is the procedure and part # the same? Do you know if two actuators are used?

Sorry, I am not familiar the dual zone climate control.

hey thanks for the write up fortunately i didnt have to do the cutting of the dash though just got in there with a 5/16ths wrench for two bolts and the top bolt was just like u said with a ratchet and 6 inch extender i got it out with no problems i was sweating this job for a while and finally did it took me hardly 45 mins to an hour thanks again

hey thanks for the write up fortunately i didnt have to do the cutting of the dash though just got in there with a 5/16ths wrench for two bolts and the top bolt was just like u said with a ratchet and 6 inch extender i got it out with no problems i was sweating this job for a while and finally did it took me hardly 45 mins to an hour thanks again

Nice work. :thumbsup: Glad I could help out. :D

My 05 explorer has started to make a noise which i believe is what is referenced in this how to. Here is video/ audio, does this sound like the blender actuator?

yes, exactly, you know what needs to be done now.

Thanks Mike. Dealer says 72 for part 150 to 300 for labor, which is lower than quotes I've been seeing on line. Still I think I can do this.......

Mike is correct. Go change the blend door actuator. Even at $150 - $300, it's money you're going to save. Do it, and let us know how you make out!! :D

Mike is correct. Go change the blend door actuator. Even at $150 - $300, it's money you're going to save. Do it, and let us know how you make out!! :D

Rondo, I'm with you on that! I will let you know, hopefully going to do this week end. It still seems to blow hot air, does that mean its stuck in the hot position?

Rondo, I'm with you on that! I will let you know, hopefully going to do this week end. It still seems to blow hot air, does that mean its stuck in the hot position?

It is possible that it is stuck in the hot position. Just follow the write-up very closely. Pay particular attention to the part when you plug in the new actuator and test it for operation. Start with the temp selector in cold, then turn to hot, then turn back to cold and leave it in the cold setting and make sure the actuator stops moving before you continue onto the next step.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you make out. :biggthump

BigRondo,

Thank you very much for your detailed instructions. I warmed my truck up this morning and came out to a clicking noise and no heat. Got to work and found my answers here. Thanks again.

Now for what I found on my 2004 XLT sport:

1. Didn't have to cut the dash.

2.Top screw in back (firewall) was the most difficult: I have the adjustable pedals. There is more bracing in the area that makes getting to this screw a little more difficult. Got the job done but a 12" extension with a wobble end would have been nice.

3. An 8mm ratchet wrench would have been the tool that would have sped the job up by 10 minutes but you can do this without it.

The job went so smooth I'm surprised how fast I got it back together. Thanks again for your DETAILED instructions, without them I'd have taken the whole console apart for no reason.

BigRondo,

Thank you very much for your detailed instructions. I warmed my truck up this morning and came out to a clicking noise and no heat. Got to work and found my answers here. Thanks again.

Now for what I found on my 2004 XLT sport:

1. Didn't have to cut the dash.

2.Top screw in back (firewall) was the most difficult: I have the adjustable pedals. There is more bracing in the area that makes getting to this screw a little more difficult. Got the job done but a 12" extension with a wobble end would have been nice.

3. An 8mm ratchet wrench would have been the tool that would have sped the job up by 10 minutes but you can do this without it.

The job went so smooth I'm surprised how fast I got it back together. Thanks again for your DETAILED instructions, without them I'd have taken the whole console apart for no reason.

Welcome to the forum! :salute:

Glad you got it fixed, glad I could help out!! :biggthump

ive got it all loosiened but having a hard time sliding it out any suggestions

ive got it all loosiened but having a hard time sliding it out any suggestions

Did you take the radio/heater control face plate off? If you didn't do it you'll be able to visualize the part easier. Also there is a wiring harness that needs a little push to help you get it out. Also you'll find as you pull it out you need to rotate it, if I remember correctly towards the firewall and it should make it easier to get out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you take the radio/heater control face plate off? If you didn't do it you'll be able to visualize the part easier. Also there is a wiring harness that needs a little push to help you get it out. Also you'll find as you pull it out you need to rotate it, if I remember correctly towards the firewall and it should make it easier to get out.

No, didnt want to take more off than i had to.

Got it out and got the new one in but i'm having a heck of a time getting the front screw back in. Anyone that did it without cutting have any tips on how they got it started bakc in. my hands arent huge, but man i cant get it to thread so i can get a wrench on it to tighte.

Back