How to: - Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex. | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Just installed new actuator...great write-up... Thanks a million!
Was able to do it without cutting the dash. Getting the new actuator in was tough but you have to have patience. Oh, and a good flashlight is a must for this job

You're welcome. :biggthump

Enjoy the heat! :fire:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WAAAAAAAAHHHOOOOOOOO!
just finished this repair on my son's 2003 explorer!
Man does it feel good to know we saved hundreds doing this myself!
and I typically HATE working on cars. to get the job done we ended up purchasing the aftermarket Dorman actuator, part #604-209 with "limited lifetime warranty" (wonder where the limit ends?? but hopefully won't have to find out too soon).
time to savor the victory with a few 'crown & cokes' now.
next up: figure out why the windows won't roll down! I see another post on that one.

WAAAAAAAAHHHOOOOOOOO!
just finished this repair on my son's 2003 explorer!
Man does it feel good to know we saved hundreds doing this myself!
and I typically HATE working on cars. to get the job done we ended up purchasing the aftermarket Dorman actuator, part #604-209 with "limited lifetime warranty" (wonder where the limit ends?? but hopefully won't have to find out too soon).
time to savor the victory with a few 'crown & cokes' now.
next up: figure out why the windows won't roll down! I see another post on that one.

Nice job on the fix!!! :salute:

Great write up, save me a ton of time and most importent $$ MONEY $$.
I did have to cut it a little of the dash to get shaft out.
I popped off the trim from around the radio and remove it that way.
Total time about 3 Hours with cleaning dash and vacuuming area with console out.

3 Hours of My Time
$55.00 OEM Part From ebay
One HAPPY Wife!!!

Dealer Est
2 Days
$119.00 Parts
$950.00 Labor

Thanks Again!!!!

Great write up, save me a ton of time and most importent $$ MONEY $$.
I did have to cut it a little of the dash to get shaft out.
I popped off the trim from around the radio and remove it that way.
Total time about 3 Hours with cleaning dash and vacuuming area with console out.

3 Hours of My Time
$55.00 OEM Part From ebay
One HAPPY Wife!!!

Dealer Est
2 Days
$119.00 Parts
$950.00 Labor

Thanks Again!!!!

You're welcome. Nicely done. :D:thumbsup:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR THIS ! My blend door actuator was out, the shop wanted 600.00 to fix it. I was about to make an appoiment when I happened across your sight, with the detailed pics and easy instructions I thought to myself, I can do this, Well today I did it, no problems, easy fix with your help! you saved me alot of $$$! thank you so much and may God bless you for your efforts!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR THIS ! My blend door actuator was out, the shop wanted 600.00 to fix it. I was about to make an appoiment when I happened across your sight, with the detailed pics and easy instructions I thought to myself, I can do this, Well today I did it, no problems, easy fix with your help! you saved me alot of $$$! thank you so much and may God bless you for your efforts!

You're welcome. Glad I could help out. :):thumbsup:

Replaced actuator - now heater stuck on

So I'm sure this has been covered on this thread but I didn't take the time to look through all the pages. I replaced my actuator before finding this wonderful write up. Like an idiot, I didn't actually test the new actuator and just assumed it was good and now the blend door is stuck. I was able to manipulate the blend door by hand with the old actuator in place and with the new one in I can't move it. I used a doorman actuator. is the actuator bad, or could not be getting power? Or is the blend door stuck for some other reason? any advice would be awesome!Thanks

04 Exp. heating issues

BigRondo:

A couple of issues that I have that may be cured with actuator replacement? My 1 and 2 speeds on my fan do not work. Also, and at the same time of the speed control not working, the flapper in the dash when adjusting the heat/cool dial makes a flapping noise that only stops when at a certain position near the red/heat end of the dial. Doesn't seem to make noise in the blue/cool zone. Any ideas?

Thank you, Jack

BigRondo:

A couple of issues that I have that may be cured with actuator replacement? My 1 and 2 speeds on my fan do not work. Also, and at the same time of the speed control not working, the flapper in the dash when adjusting the heat/cool dial makes a flapping noise that only stops when at a certain position near the red/heat end of the dial. Doesn't seem to make noise in the blue/cool zone. Any ideas?

Thank you, Jack

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Jack, when I bought the Ex, the fan had no difference between speeds 3 and 4. I changed the switch and that fixed it.

The other issue you described sure sounds like a faulty blend door actuator.

Good luck with the fix. :biggthump

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

BigRondo:
Thank you for the quick reply and I will try it. Also, Thank you for serving!!!

I must say Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for this thread and a koodo to the mods for making this a sticky. Yesterday I managed to find this on my phone while standing on a dealership lot looking at an '03 XLT in need of a blend door actuator. I was able to scroll through it in a way to make it look like it was a much bigger deal than it really is and got $1000 knocked off the price :D

Yet letting me know it wasn't nearly as bad as replacing one in a Taurus (I would've walked away)

I must say Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for this thread and a koodo to the mods for making this a sticky. Yesterday I managed to find this on my phone while standing on a dealership lot looking at an '03 XLT in need of a blend door actuator. I was able to scroll through it in a way to make it look like it was a much bigger deal than it really is and got $1000 knocked off the price :D

Yet letting me know it wasn't nearly as bad as replacing one in a Taurus (I would've walked away)

You're welcome. Glad to give back.

Nice job on the bargaining!! Good luck swapping out the actuator. :D:thumbsup:

Hey guys, I have a 4th gen and my actuator finally gave way. I am going to attempt this repair myself. however I do have one question, does it matter if the temp control is stuck on cold or heat? I am assuming you can just put it in with the temp control being stuck either way.

I believe...

Hey guys, I have a 4th gen and my actuator finally gave way. I am going to attempt this repair myself. however I do have one question, does it matter if the temp control is stuck on cold or heat? I am assuming you can just put it in with the temp control being stuck either way.

I was told to just keep the position in place when replacing it. I replaced mine and it seems to have worked so far.

I can't say about the 4th Gen's, but in the third gen you make sure temp is set to cold when removing old actuator and after testing new one rotate temp to cold and make sure actuator has completed movement before installing, as outlined in my write up.

I recommend you check the 4th Gen Sub Forum as there are several threads concerning the replacement of the actuator.

Good luck with the fix. :biggthump

You are the man! I didn't swear once. That sucker was tough to get at, but this was so comprehensive I didn't have to fret ... And no cutting!

You are the man! I didn't swear once. That sucker was tough to get at, but this was so comprehensive I didn't have to fret ... And no cutting!

Glad I could help out!! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great post and how to!

So glad to have found this, 'cause I'm gonna have to be doing this before long. Thanks for taking the time to share all this info!:D

Back