Replacement Front D-shaft

gavin

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
So are there any companies out there that make an adapter so we don't have to use that royal POS CV-joint front d-shaft?
I believe I've seen some posts that say their d-shaft was replaced with a non-cv style shaft, but had no luck finding those again. And most likely need a double-cardan joint for this, correct?
Or is this something I'll hafta get a shop to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a 4" superlift you can use their front drivehshaft. It runs about $450. Other than that I am only aware of stock replacement.

that's what I figured.
ah well... it'll do 'til I can get an adapter made.

I bought a replacement shaft for the front of my 98 (stock Cv-joint shaft) from O'Reillys auto parts and it was a double cardan stlye with a slip yoke (very similar to Superlift's). It was listed as an "updated design" in their computers. If you have an O'Reilly auto parts near by go in and order one. The good thing about O'Reillys is there is no deposit or paying up front. If they get it and it isn't what you want they just send it back.

CougarX said:
I bought a replacement shaft for the front of my 98 (stock Cv-joint shaft) from O'Reillys auto parts and it was a double cardan stlye with a slip yoke (very similar to Superlift's). It was listed as an "updated design" in their computers. If you have an O'Reilly auto parts near by go in and order one. The good thing about O'Reillys is there is no deposit or paying up front. If they get it and it isn't what you want they just send it back.

How much?

Around $200 bucks (plus $50 core if you don't have old one).

Look it up on there website www.oreillyauto.com

They list two different lengths, one is for the V6 and one for the V8, but they don't specify which is which. I don't remember which one I bought cause it was almost three years ago. I may be able to dig up the receipt somewhere but no promises.

By the way, if you go to Autozone or Advance they both list the same Cardone part number in their system, but neither one (at the time, 3 years ago) could order it at all. O'Reilly's is the only place I found that could actually order it.

I live in Alaska.. unfortunately we don't have an OReillys.
All we have is Schmucks, Napa, and CarQuest.

I'm glad I saw this thread :D . I will have to go to O'reilly's when I get ready to replace the U-Joints & just get a new front drive shaft with the double cardan style.

Dan Whitaker said:
I'm glad I saw this thread :D . I will have to go to O'reilly's when I get ready to replace the U-Joints & just get a new front drive shaft with the double cardan style.

you can buy my d-carden. But you wont get it till december.100 shipped.

97 V8 you have PM :)

I need it soon. It's Alaska, and snow in October is normal.
CarQuest also seems to carry a double-cardan style front d-shaft, but unfortunately we're not sure if it is a replacement, and it can only be ordered from the factory. So if I got it, and it wasn't right, I would be screwed out of around $290. It stated for "96.5-97 Explorer with circular flange at t-case"
Anybody know what the Ford OEM part number is for 97's d-shaft?
The part from CarQuest is a replacement for Ford # F65A-4A376-BA
The d-shaft I have (which was bought from a junkyard, from I believe a 98ish Explorer) is XL24-4A376-BA
Maybe the XL24 is because it came from a Mounty not an Explorer?
Also, what was the Cardone part #?

Thanks!

CougarX said:
You might check NAPA and see if they can get Cardone brand parts. It may cost a little more at NAPA. You can get the part numbers from the O'reilly site I linked to.

none of the d-shafts have pictures.
So I dunno which part# I would need.

Ok so I lied.. it just has the same parts listed multiple times.
But they all say remanufactured?
And those part #s don't come up in Napa's system.

The d-shafts listed for Napa are NPR12622 and NPR12452

Edit: ok so I just realized the last 3 digits in the Napa part are the last 3 digits of the Cardone part.
So I guess I'll hafta stop by and see if they have one and see if it's what I'm looking for.

my last post for the time being... I checked with partsamerica (shmucks) and this is the pic they have for the Cardone 65-9622 (27 13/16" which is what mine is)
659622-3.jpg

but it's not a double-cardan. Couple shops I've emailed about d-shafts, highly recommend a double-cardan.
Is this the one you got Cougar?

I sent an email to Cardone... here's the response I got.

Neither; a single u joint at each end

Dan Spang
Cardone Technical Services Dept.
ASE Master Certified

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted At: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:28 PM
Posted To: Inbox
Conversation: 1997 Explorer Front D-shaft, Part# 65-9622
Subject: 1997 Explorer Front D-shaft, Part# 65-9622

Does this driveshaft have a cv-joint at the transfer case end, or does it have a double-cardan style joint?

One more note: the 65-9622 is actually 96 1/2 year.
If you have a 5.0L use 65-9450 and if you have a 4.0L use a 65-9452

Dan Spang
Cardone Technical Services Dept.
ASE Master Certified

Ok. They 96.5 built 5.0's labelled as 97's had double cardon shafts. After that they came with cv shafts. My mountaineer has a build date of april 1996. It has a d-carden. I would highly recommend that you get a double cardon shaft. After i did my t-case swap, i have a slight vibration now at speed. The reason is becuase i am using a single cardon type d-shaft from a f-150.

[QUOTE='97 V8]Ok. They 96.5 built 5.0's labelled as 97's had double cardon shafts. After that they came with cv shafts. My mountaineer has a build date of april 1996. It has a d-carden. I would highly recommend that you get a double cardon shaft. After i did my t-case swap, i have a slight vibration now at speed. The reason is becuase i am using a single cardon type d-shaft from a f-150.[/QUOTE]

it also has(had) a 4-bolt flange at the t-case end, correct?
The CV-joint d-shafts have a 6-bolt circular flange.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes. The double carden was a 4 bolt flange.

Back