Replacing power window bushings with nuts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing power window bushings with nuts

94exploderblues

Reaction score
City, State
omaha
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer sport
Hi, I've been looking for the power window bushings at the parts stores and cannot find them, I've read that 1/4-20 nuts will work in place of the plastic bushings... is this true? Has anybody done this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got just the plugs here and they work great:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...air-Parts/Window-Regulator-Gear-Plug/_/N-25bw

Or you may need a gear too with the plugs:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...57f5Z8iihk?itemIdentifier=319436_97191_13424_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...=window+lift+motor+gear+kit&fromString=search

Use plenty of grease and tilt the plugs slightly in the grease for pressing into the gear. Without the tilting, the plugs appear to be a little oversized; but they are NOT! Just tilt them slightly in the grease bed.

BTW: I could not get the InsertImage feature to work here. All I got was a rectangle. So I've posted the links for the sources.

I Would Just Go To Auto zone And Grab The Pack Of them , I Just did My Passenger Side Today , About An Hour Ago , and It Took me 25-30 Mins After I Got The door Panel and The Speaker Out , Its Really Not That Bad If You Have a Drill , Drill Bits , the Right Tools to Take it Apart , I Thought it Was going To Be A 2 Hour Project If I Took My Time And Found It Was Easy After I Found Out What The motor Looks Like , Good Luck , And Welcome !

You will know when you need a gear when the window tops or bottoms out and the motor keeps running and the gear makes a popping sound. All should be silent after topping or bottoming out and at that moment the dash ammeter should indicate motor load (or the dimmed dome light!)

You will know when you need the plugs when the motor runs and the window is stationary or chugs up or down a little at a time. Also when that happens and you can move the window up or down by hand even when the motor is running.

If you hear no motor it may be faulty 12V supply or a dead motor.

www.youtube.com has lots on power window repair including Fords.

Of course, this forum has some excellent threads on it too.

I used ball bearings. Won't eat up the gear and they won't deteriorate like the bushing. Can't remember the size off hand but I can look it up if you want.

My windows stay stationary and I open and close them by hand, I picked up the bushings today

Exporunner,

You would have almost come about ahead buying the 100 in bulk - sure would have considering you would have had enough left to do another 7 vehicles.

After doing these repairs, I've started wondering how many people paid $200 or more a window when all they needed was a couple dollars and about 30 minutes.

Exporunner,

You would have almost come about ahead buying the 100 in bulk - sure would have considering you would have had enough left to do another 7 vehicles.

After doing these repairs, I've started wondering how many people paid $200 or more a window when all they needed was a couple dollars and about 30 minutes.

will probably get the others in bulk, just bought one package to see how it is before I attack all the others, my dad a 93 ex back when I was a kid and I showed him how the bushings deteriorated and all you have to do is replace them and he was shocked, he spent like 400 bucks to replace the window motors in his when all he needed was these bushings.

Back