• Register Today It's free!

Replacing radius arm brackets

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Ive been looking at changing out my radius arm bushings, because theyve been making chirping noises (probably metal to metal) and the truck wanders all over the road depending on surface condition.

I'm thinking of just buying two brackets, and a bushing kit and doing it all at once, instead of screwing around with the factory rivers, as I dont have access to air tools.

My questions are:

1) Can I reuse the stock bracket hardware, or do I need to order a hardware kit as well?

2) Will I be able to pull the existing brackets and attach new ones with hand tools, or am I SOL here too?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're gonna have to screw around with the factory rivets no matter what.

For me, I didn't have the time, tools, or the patience to mess with them. I paid a guy to do it for me. The end result is exactly what you see now, only instead of rivets, there are high grade bolts and nuts. Pretty straight forward.

usually the Arms don't need to be replaced.. The brackets wear first.. (after the bushings go)..

To replace the brackets you will be dealing with rivots.. which will make changing the bushings next time easier.

~Mark

Here is how to replace the RABs without touching the rivets. Unfortunately the pictures aren't working. But you shouldn't need to buy any hardware and you can do this without air tools.
Edit: I read too fast. If you are going to replace the brackets you will need to drill out the rivets like they mentioned.

I took a look at that thread and stopped reading the moment I saw the need to compress the springs, and remove some bolts to let the axle down. Me doing those steps = no more driveable explorer.

I guess Ill have to pay someone to do it, and they'll probably want a small fortune.

its not a bad job. shouldn't be a small fortune, just a tiny one.

a reputable shop shouldnt take more than 2 hrs total to change the brackets and bushings (as mentioned, if the brackets are off, bushings are a breeze).

a real good shop probably could do it in about an hour, with the right tech on the job, one who has done them before.

up here where I live, hourly rate run from 65-150 an hour (the 150 range is a stealership of course)

oh, if you find a shop that lets you supply the parts, they are not too expensive either.. look up rockauto.com for pricing on all the parts (bushings and brackets, which include new bolts)

The rivets really are not that hard to get out. All you need is an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, and a sharp chisel and hammer. Cut a + sign into each rivets then chisel the head off.

If you do bring it to a shop, ask them to lose the rivets for you (a good shop can cut them out with a torch way faster than anything you can do at home). That way, if you ever have to replace the RABs again some day, you can do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back