• Register Today It's free!

Replacing starter motor 95 ohv

pax

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XL 4x4 2door
I am having a hard time removing the upper bolt of the starter motor. I had the 13mm socket on the upper bolt, but the ratchet handle has no room to turn it. The front axle shaft and other stuffs are underneath blocking it.

Am I missing something here? How do you remove that upper bolt?

I searched this forum but all I can find is people saying just remove the two bolts. The bottom one is easy, but the top one, I don't know.

I don't see any way of turning the ratchet handle from the top or from the bottom.

I wanted to replace the starter before I get stranded on the road. Since the solenoid is acting up sometimes. It is about time, with 280,000km on the original starter motor.

I used a unversal joint (what some call a swival) on a couple 4 inch extensions so the ratchet handle would be just past master cylinder.Thoe its still tight theres just anuff room to crack it.You may want to move the battery to give yourself a little bit more room.

Thanks. I have to go buy a swivel and try again. So I have to get at it from the top then. When I first looking at it, I didn't think you can get at the bolt from the top.
It is so strange that no one ever mention the upper bolt is a PITA to take out. When I was reading through the forums, I was under the impression that it was fairly easy. "just remove the two bolts, the battery wire and take the starter out"
So I may add this, for the 2nd generation OHV, the starter motor is a PITA to remove the upper mounting bolt. Be prepared.

I know the feeling (PITA).Theres no room to really to get your arm up in there from the bottom unless you want to drop the exhaust.The first time I tried I went "Lets try here,ok lets try here, allright maybe if..Oh screw it!"The sad thing about it is I spent a good 30-40 minutes under the truck before going to the top. When you go get that swivel see if they have a short handle ratchet.Your probly going to need the long handle to brake the bolt and then you can use short handle to back it out the rest of the way.Keep in mind it takes longer to pull it out than it does to put it back in,from my experience lol!

Back