• Register Today It's free!

reprogramming key fobs

fishwish3

Reaction score
City, State
northampton,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport 4X4
ok, i have been having issues with my keyless entry remote by pretty much having to just about break the remote to get it to work, i tried replacing the $5.00 battery and it still doing the same thing so i broke down and bought a brand new remote with a 12 month warranty and i dont know how to program this thing to work, any help would be appreciated.

To program the remotes:
1. Make sure that the anti-theft system is not armed or triggered.
2. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN eight times within ten seconds, ending in RUN. If the RAP module has successfully entered program mode, it will lock and then unlock all doors.
3. Press any button on a keyless entry remote transmitter and the doors will lock and then unlock to confirm that each keyless entry remote transmitter has been programmed.
4. If the door locks do not respond for any keyless entry remote transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again
5. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, or wait up to 20 seconds after step 2, to exit program mode. If a key less entry remote transmitter has been programmed (or reprogrammed), the RAP module will lock and unlock all doors one last time to confirm
6. Note: when the first remote is programmed, all existing remotes are erased.
7. Repeat for each transmitter.

There is a well named thread "all you need to know about keyless entry" in the sticky list at the top of this forum.

Back