• Register Today It's free!

Reverse is gone on my 98 explorer

gawdaddy

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Any quick fixes that I might be able to try? Hoping not the tranny. Bought it cheap and would rather not have to replace or rebuild tranny.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nah no quick fixes for that, which engine/trans do you have ?

4.0 SOHC not sure exact tranny. It is auto. And, since I am new to the explorer deal, whats the diff between the 4.0 OHC and the 4.0 SOHC? Which is better?

The SOHC is the newer engine and is therefor better. More power at least.

More headaches is really what it is. Reverse is a very common problem with these models. Put it in first, and check to see if you still have full control. It might only be the 1-R band. I ended up having to have my trans completely rebuilt.

Update on this thread. I have the 5r55e transmission. All places I have checked say that's the only year for THAT particular one. I hear its the speed sensor location that makes it unique. Does it matter where the speed sensor is located. I know the 99-01 are the.exact same 5r55e. But, the.speed sensor is located differently. Anyone know the.answer to my dilemma? Thanks in advance.

i have used a 97 trans in a 98, and a 00, in 99 in a 98 as well, and never had any problems with the speedo. you do have a speed sensor in the diff, but i have heard there is also one in the case, but as i said, i have never had any problems. all of them where 5r55e's. i have also changed the revers ban in one as well. getting inside a trans scares the hell out of me, but once you have a manual infront of you (there is a thread on here that you can down load them) it really wasnt that bad, and took about 1 1/2 hours to change. i didnt need to rebuild it either.
one last thing, both SOHC and OHV motors use the same type of trans. they both also have the same bolt pattern. a 95-96 trans will not work however. they are a 4r55e

Back