Review of (Doug904)BamaChips tuner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Review of (Doug904)BamaChips tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Well... I am putting my Flasher in the mail tomorrow to Doug from Bamachips.com

As many of you have heard from me, my experiences with Apten were far from good. I informed Doug of my problems and he immediately informed me of why I was throwing codes with the program and made me an awesome deal on reprogramming my flasher. I will be getting two 92 octane performance programs. One for my current height and one for my thirty three's. Y'all should feel special!!! I am putting my lift on hold just to give you all a fair and honest review of Doug product. Do you have any idea how hard it is to walk out into the garage and see the kit and tires and......wait!!!!!!!

I will be dropping this in the mail overnight, so hopefully I will be able to offer a review of the programming very soon. Check Back. I noticed a few posts below this someone had ordered from Hypnotic Illusions and was going to post a review also. Looks like a good opportunity for you all to get a good overview of the new SCT programmers on our block without spending a bundle to test one or the other out.

I can't wait.. I am so sick of this bright orange check engine light and the hiccup in my idle that occurs when the Apten tune is installed. It runs excellent with the stock programming, but I am so addicted to the better feel of the transmission that I can't seem to keep the program out. I am sure that Doug's tune will make me happy, after all who else do you trust with a 4.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wanna race?

;)

Give me two months and I'll race ya, rutted hill or not. :)
Doug's a nice guy, cant wait to see the results.....
Once my BII is OBD-II I will be needing a programmer :)

dreamr said:
Do I get to pick which rutted hill we race up?
As long as we do it while you still have open diff's :D

I would really be interested in the side by side. We are supposed to have the same engine, even if yours is 5 years newer. We probably have bout the same mileage on them. 140k?

i have heard good thing about doug because my friend has a ranger and he said it was better than a apten one i don't know we will see in time im putting mine in the mail soon but im just on hold becuase im in short of money right now and i don't have all the mods i want yet so he can program them.

yeah but who has what gears and tires?

We're both 3.73 he has 30" BFG's and I have 31" Michelin ATX's

I told him we should wait till summer when I get the 4.56's in just so I can eat him up. As to mileage I just rolled over 90K

You know Albino, I damn near bought a new car tonight. If I change my mind again and go get it. You get to race it first :D I'll give you a hint...it is identical to the vehicle that almost cost me my life and drivers licencse several times over in my teens. God it felt good to have all that power in my shifting hand again.

Back to the subject of the thread, I sent out my tuner to Doug today and it should arrive tomorrow at noon. If holiday shipping doesn't hold it up I should have it back soon to write this here review.

Hey everyone. I was looking at the hit counter on both of these threads and realizing that they were getting up there. True a lot of it at this point is just conversation, however soon we will both be tuning our vehicles with these two gentlemen’s programming.

Since both are relatively new to us in this capacity I thought the reviews would be nice for all of you. I originally intended on ordering a program from each. But I really didn’t have the extra 50 bucks to try one of Hyp’s programs. I don’t know if Doug wants me discussing our private arrangements, but lets just say he hooked me the **** up, and is a great guy to deal with. Wayne was a good guy to talk with for that matter also!!!

Anyway I am adding links to this thread and my thread for Bamachips to aid those interested in observing the results. I hope no one minds, but I think it is only fair to those who come along a few months from now and do a search. After all, all there was to read about when I was looking was Apten , and that was a terrible experience I had with there complete lack of customer service.

From what I have seen so far either one of these gentlemen are head and shoulders above Apten in this department. Let me re-phrase that : Head, Shoulders, torso, arms, waist, hips, legs, knees, and ankles above Apten in Customer service..

BamaChips Review
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123336

Hypnotic Illusions Chip Review
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123317

You know this will mean nothing unless you got to a dyno. I'll go too and see if my Apten really does anything.

Anyone have an idea how much that might cost?

Albino 94LTD said:
You know this will mean nothing unless you got to a dyno. I'll go too and see if my Apten really does anything.

Anyone have an idea how much that might cost?

Albino check the last few posts on the other thread.

Would be great if the two threads can be combined, as a mod, I would do that:)

Subscribing to thread. ;) :p

Just let me know the time, I'd be willing to pay for the dyno time or better yet if it's a comparison then shall we say I'll pay for half and let the other tuner pay for the other.

Sounds like a plan, just give me a paypal account.

Later Doug904 :)

Doug904 said:
Just let me know the time, I'd be willing to pay for the dyno time or better yet if it's a comparison then shall we say I'll pay for half and let the other tuner pay for the other.

Sounds like a plan, just give me a paypal account.

Later Doug904 :)

This is interesting. My paypal is my email but dont send anything until we can have an agreement... I would also need your program. It would be great if Dreamr and I could do a same day dyno both of us with both tuner programs for the V6 and V8 program comparisons. I got to go to work now but I would like to discuss more of this later. I have a few ideas.

dreamr said:
Albino.. I have actually never thought about running the truck on a dyno, but it might be interesting. Is this the new version of our race ;) j/k

Could be.

You would have to find a 4 wheel dyno or do the brown wire mod, right?

The differences between us are 5 years, 50,000 miles, Control trac vs shift, and tire size. I think we have the same performance mods for intake on our pushrod motors.

I'm not trying to win your pink slip ;) or loose mine :mad: , just interested in the differences, if any.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easy folks! I was hoping that these threads would not generate animosity toward competitors but rather spike the intrest of other members here to get a tune which would benefit both of you!

I think Wayne meant that it was a variable that could put doubt in people about its programming. Its valid point that people will wonder if they will get the same quality program as the ones used in these comparisons regardless of who programs them. From what I have heard I trust both of you to be to your word.

I think we need to do some phone calls to sort some things out. Its better that way then to have misunderstandings.

Wayne. Those were the exact points that I was going to make but didnt have time. It looks like this might take some time to negotiate this out. I also agree that a real world driving comparison is more important than a dyno. But the dyno sparks interest...

Crap. I hate working graveyard shifts... I need to sleep... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back