Riding down the freeway | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Riding down the freeway

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1991 XLT Explorer that I bought new and it still runs. I have rebuilt the A4LD trans several times and the engine at 150K In the first year I installed Tokico shocks and put on heaview sway bars - 1" in front and rear. I also upgraded to Goodyear Wrangler 245/75R15 tires. I now run Hancook. The sway and roll stopped. I can take a 45mph freeway exit at 60mph - no problem.
Just by observation, my Ex's rear springs and shocks have been on there quite a while. Not sure they're giving me problems yet, but will be on the list for further inspection/replacement.
Have you checked the brake pads for wear and unusual wear? They tell the story if you have worn or failed parts.
Indeed the retired mechanic did look at the pads and rotors, said they were fine, and no grooves in the rotors either.

can suck the fluid in the mc out with a turkey baster syrunge etc but leave some fluid in the mc so you dont havw to bleed, then refill drive it and repeat.
Update: Now 2 mechanics have told me the brakes and rotors and fluid level are fine. But IMO the pedal travels too far down before the brakes engage (3/4 of the way) Brake pedal does not pump up with car off. I plan on replacing the fluid as advised, the search I did on the 'net rules out brake booster problems, nothing leaking either. I asked if anything looked like it was going to start leaking (lines) he said no. Rather stumped on this one. Do want to try again with the road trip before it gets really cold out. Will be replacing the brake fluid with the Valvoline synthetic as advised.

Brake master cylinder could be going south.

Back