Riding down the freeway | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Riding down the freeway

Curious question: you who drive the 2nd gen stock Explorers (first gen too). Do you do the 75+ mph to keep up with traffic on the interstates or freeways, or do you go slower/pick a 2 lane hwy. Have to admit doing those tight sweeping turns at speed makes me a touch nervous, but don't want to be "that gal" who slows up traffic (yeah, even the right lane on I-94 goes pretty fast). Could take a 2-lane route and save gas also, will add more than a little time to the trip. Considering every other time I've driven at speed was in a sedan. What's your preference?

I have a 1994 Explorer gen 1 with 194K miles and it's always been a bit bouncy. This is the model that was sold with the defective Firestone tires and because I lived in the high desert I always kept the tire pressures at 32psi, not the recommended (at the time) 26 psi, so I didn't experience the catastrophic tire failure others did -- I just had to put up with the rumbling tires which all had, I found out later, slipped belts. That said, I have found that as the car aged I needed to replace bushings and undercarriage wear parts and once I did the car handled much better. Still bouncy, but better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUT the mission was aborted, when trying to keep the 70 mph speed up a slight grade, had to push harder and harder on the gas pedal - no sounds or warning lights, believe it was already in overdrive. A herd of tractor trailers catching up behind me. There was some question also if I was getting all gas pedal or possibly catching al little of the brake pedal too
I know that feeling. The brake and the gas pedal are too close for my size12-1/2 EEEE feet (Think Snow shoes) . Too many times I have hit the brake and grabbed gas too or thought I was pushing gas and got some brake too

Curious question: you who drive the 2nd gen stock Explorers (first gen too). Do you do the 75+ mph to keep up with traffic on the interstates or freeways, or do you go slower/pick a 2 lane hwy. Have to admit doing those tight sweeping turns at speed makes me a touch nervous, but don't want to be "that gal" who slows up traffic (yeah, even the right lane on I-94 goes pretty fast). Could take a 2-lane route and save gas also, will add more than a little time to the trip. Considering every other time I've driven at speed was in a sedan. What's your preference?

Joney, Don't worry. I have driven 93 to 05 Explorers with no problems and at all speeds. As long as you have good tires and put AIR in them, like 35lbs., NOT the recommended 25lbs. that made them rollover because the sidewalls had NO support, you will be just fine. Find a nice Sunday with low traffic and go practice getting used to it.

The Firestone tires didn't cause rollovers because of lack of sidewall support. They failed because Ford recommended a tire pressure lower than industry norms in order to make the vehicle more stable. The tires overheated due to low pressure and poor construction, and failed. The crashes were the fault of the drivers, but Ford and Firestone ate it because they were negligent.

I read several studies about immediate catastrophic tire failure. They basically blew up a front tire while the vehicle was going 60 MPH. The most deviation from a straight line the tire failure caused with much larger tires than what was on the Explorers was six inches.

I submitted recall paperwork and got a check for five tires because I still had the original set that came with the Explorer. I stacked them in the yard after getting aftermarket wheels and tires or they would have been long worn out.

Still going on that road trip, overall the handling with 34 psi was good - but in the last few days have noticed the brake pedal is too far down for comfort. Although the pads and rotors are OK, going to check out the rest of the braking system, was told the brake fluid is dark, want to replace it but want to see if there's a way to swap it out without having to bleed the ABS part of the system. Would like to get rid of ABS anyway. Several other fixes to do, on good advice from the good folks right here!

Still going on that road trip, overall the handling with 34 psi was good - but in the last few days have noticed the brake pedal is too far down for comfort. Although the pads and rotors are OK, going to check out the rest of the braking system, was told the brake fluid is dark, want to replace it but want to see if there's a way to swap it out without having to bleed the ABS part of the system. Would like to get rid of ABS anyway. Several other fixes to do, on good advice from the good folks right here!
just replace brake fluid and pump the brakes

Driving fast is fun till something goes wrong. I was top end speed testing my van on the freeway, it pulled hard until the driveshaft launched hard. It actually broke in two places leaving the U joints at each end.
That with the pics is scary! Never heard of the driveshaft itself breaking and leaving the U Joints. Twice I dropped a driveshaft at 25 mph. Was bad U Joints did it. Too young & naive at the time to realize how bad it could have been.

can suck the fluid in the mc out with a turkey baster syrunge etc but leave some fluid in the mc so you dont havw to bleed, then refill drive it and repeat.

I admire your dedication to this question.

Indeed, something is amiss. Kinda wondering why it's taking so long for this simple answer. Go turn on key, look for light, post answer. 2 minutes tops

To get such symptoms at 10 mpg with no check engine light, makes me wonder if it works.

In fact, for any troubleshooting this is probably the most important step.

I cruise 80-85 without issue, 2016 xlt

I cruise 80-85 without issue, 2016 xlt
This thread is about 1st and 2nd gen Explorers. Completely different vehicles. Comparing apples to zucchini with your 2016. 2016 is a road car, 1st and 2nd gens are based off the Ranger, so basically a 90's truck.

Check engine light check? Does it turn on with key on?
No, it never lights up. Guess I'll have to take off part of the dash to see if the light bulb is burned out!
Was also trying to see if my brake booster was working. When the truck is idling, I can pump the brake many times and it still sinks low. Also want to finally try out Forscan with my Android and see whatever codes.

@joney , look for tape over cel bulb or window for it in cluster. I think the previous owner may have pulled a trick. I've seen it before. This is why I asked.

Dang it, dang it to heck

Does the pedal feel firm once you turn the engine off?

@joney , look for tape over cel bulb or window for it in cluster. I think the previous owner may have pulled a trick. I've seen it before. This is why I asked.

Dang it, dang it to heck
The light I'd assumed was 'check engine" turned out to be "check gage" finally noticed when I put on my reading glasses LOL.

Well, I found this on how to get at the instrument cluster... BUT it involves setting the parking brake which I've never used yet, and have been warned it may lock up on me . Wondering if wheel chocks on the back wheels will do, as the next thing he says is to put the shift lever in 1st gear (this on an automatic tranny like mine). Apparently the little bulbs are #37.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The brakes are a major item to make sure you trust them always, and on a trip. Given the dark fluid, it's a good time to bleed all of it out with new fluid. Don't worry about the ABS unless you accidentally allow air to get in the upper lines or master cylinder. You can bleed them easily with two people and keep the MC topped off regularly.

It takes a few minutes for each caliper to bleed fluid until it comes out clear in the bleeding hose. Suck out what can be from the MC to start with, and top it back up with the new fluid. I like a top brand for brake fluid, not any bargain stuff. Try this great Bosch if you can, it's one of the best among easy to buy brake fluid now;
Amazon product ASIN B07338GQM8

Back