Rockers and Shafts Question Delta Cam | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rockers and Shafts Question Delta Cam

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
So I installed new pushrods on Monday. Some of the old ones some had worn footballed ends. I had some annoying top end chatter and thought I had a bent pushrod. One pushrod was def worn/slightly bent but most of them were straight.
The new pushrods helped the noise quite a bit but it is still slightly there. Sounds kind of like a sewing machine, I think I should replace the rockers and shafts as that sounds like where the noise is coming from. The rockers don’t seem to pivot as smoothly as I would expect.
Has anyone installed the rocker/shaft kit from delta cam? Since I already have new pushrods it would be cheaper than the full kit.
Just wondering what people think of this kit? Is this the kit where they install hardened pushrod cups into each rocker arm? I called and they said I would have to send my rockers/shafts in for them to get me the kit.
I have not replaced the lifters, they were always quiet never had any issues. They all looked great when I had the heads off. I kinda regret not replacing them while I had the heads off, but the price of them made me try to not replace them.

I didn’t replace the timing chain tensioner as it seemed ok when I had the timing cover off. But on some modular v8 engines the sewing machine noise is usually bad timing chain tensioners so maybe I should have checked that better.

Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depending on the cam, Delta adds more lift by decreasing the base circle of the lobe.
That means you need longer push rods than factory.

Find out from Delta if they ground more lift in to the cam you purchased. If they did, you will require longer than factory push rods.

I didn’t buy the Delta cam.
I was asking for input from anyone who has installed the Delta Cam rocker arm/rocker shaft/pushrod kit in their 4.0L ohv.
Looking to see if they were happy with it, if it is worth the money.

Don't buy the rocker shaft kit. I did, and @jd4242 did.
They drill the rocker too much and they break. The rockers also don't get drilled exactly the same, changing push rod length for various rockers. JD4242 had a failure on one of the rockers.

I ran both the cam and rocker assembly, but could clearly see the differences in heights of the inserts in the rockers.
I think the cam as actually pretty good.

This may have changed, but be careful.

Thanks so much for posting that link and for your honest advice!
Maybe i’ll try and clean & lube the shafts sometime soon.

I disassembled my shafts and rockers looked for wear on shafts and loosness on rockers on unworn section of shafts mine were fine then surfaced the valve end of the rockers that were worn from the valve stems checked pushrod length which was still fine replaced the pushrods
roscoe

Back