• Register Today It's free!

Rolling back on hill.

Devin Wright

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
I drive a 1995 Explorer XLT. Sometimes, I'll roll back on a hill when in drive. I'm sure you guys have had this happened to you in Explorers and other cars. It's more of a thing that kinda shocks me and scares me when it happens. And when I feel it roll back, I generally will punch the accelerator just as an involuntary reaction. I mean, I might roll back 3-6 inches in actuality, buuuut, to me, it feels like a whole damn yard I'm rolling back. I know this all depends on a lot of variables. The weight of the car, power of the engine, how steep the incline is, ect. And I know how the torque converter works and how that comes into play with this situation. I don't drive on many hills in my area. But, when I do, I have the anxiety of rolling back (I've always suffered from anxiety attacks and have had anxiety problems all throughout my life). I really have no damn clue why this is bothering me so much though. My dads '96 S-10 truck does that, and it's a manual, and it doesn't even phase my dad one bit. Maybe it could be I've only been driving for about 6 months now and I'm not used to how it feels. When I had my permit, my parents did teach me to drive in a 2001 Mazda 626 (mom's car) and it really didn't roll back on hills hardly at all. But, I bought the Explorer (an amazing purchase decision, not regretting getting it, amazing car) but, I feel that a car that much bigger compared to a normal family sedan might not have been a wise decision for a first car.

But, I've rambled enough, you guys have any suggestions for how maybe I could prevent this? Or maybe stop this from happening? What are yall's thoughts? Should I just not worry about it? Just give it gas at my turn to go faster than I normally do? Or do I just need to drive more?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When on enough of a hill that it's an issue, swap your left foot onto the brake pedal and use the right to give it a little gas while releasing the brake pedal.

In some ways an Explorer is easier to drive than a sedan, better visibility, able to make tighter turns, usually 4WD or AWD for more traction, but you have to remember that it doesn't like changing directions at high speed due to being top heavy and the leaf spring suspension. There's no question that a Mazda 626 handles like a dream compared to any older SUV.

I appreciate the comments, everyone! Funny thing, I asked this exact question on Yahoo answers, and 2 out of the 5 people that commented actually give decent advice. The other 3, literally said "Keep your foot on the brake." Followed by something of me being stupid. Like, no **** my foot is on the brake. Any human with common sense or just a little enough brain power to understand would get that. You people, automatically knew what I was talking about. So, you all can pat yourself on the back's, knowing that you're all smarter than the people on the Yahoo answers!

A lot of people on Yahoo answers live in India and have never owned a car.

Back