Roof Rack | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack

did you get yours off of ebay too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my lights wired in today, I will post some pics later. the only thing i dont like about them is that the wiring looks sloppy because I dont trust myself to drill in my roof

I got my lights wired in today, I will post some pics later. the only thing i dont like about them is that the wiring looks sloppy because I dont trust myself to drill in my roof

I would just do what was mentioned [somewhere (i forget where):D] and get some of those rubber plugs and just be very careful drilling. They're pretty cheap and arent hard to find. I know if I ever get a roof rack I would be super cautious drilling through my roof! But i know for sure i wouldn't run the wires through a door or the hatch, it just looks way too sloppy.

Looking forward to the pictures!

be sure to add some relays in the wiring, i wired mine right to the switch because the kit didn't include a relay. Last trip i fried the switch and burned the ground wire...didn't smell good and the two hour drive home on the logging at night wasn't as fun :thumbsup:

So one thing that I noticed.... I have a 95 and ended up with a friend completely one off/custom basket.... but the 95 roof rack is only good for 100lbs (from the factory) and seemed a bit rickety.

I'll try to get some photos posted but he spent like $60 on the metal (he originally built it for his rig) then I modified it to how I wanted it and added some lights ($10/ea at HF... but because I'm guessing the glass is prone to breaking I actually put them protected inside of the basket).... but I ended up building my own roof rack out of some flat bar & square tubing I picked up for about $20.

The roof rack & basket is extremely solid now...

I should mention the reason I ended up with the basket was because it was too tall on my friends 9" lifted 97 explorer and he had the 300lb factory roof rack... when he went in a parking garage the roof rack destroyed itself when the basket didn't clear (ripped the center pieces of the rack apart).

The only concern I personally have now is that the roof rack won't be able to rip itself out if I hit something off road... and most likely will rip the tracks out of the roof of the explorer.

oh I definately agree that it looks sloppy, but I just cant trust myself being only 17 to do it without messing something up, and in my opinion leaks in my roof are a lot sloppier

I like your ligths"

Here it is. I would cut on the roof lights but they are not wired in yet :D

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

I like yours PIAAs! Here are mine LOL. And probably I will get another pair for the grille.

4DSC04808.jpg

3DSC04807.jpg

DSC04751.jpg

Where are you running the wires into that cab at? just curious cause i want to do this and the only thing thats holding me back is where im going to run the wires

Where can I find that roof rack at? I have a 95 4d. Looking for a rack and lights.

Nice it looks good.

Back