Rough shift from 1-2 up 98 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough shift from 1-2 up 98 5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Denver Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer xlt v8
I noticed today after an oil change, that my exploder is having a bit of a rough shift from first to 2nd but not all the time.. sometimes I’ll lightly add throttle and it’ll get to 2nd with a bit of a flare I guess? Sometimes coming to a stop it’ll downshift a bit rough.. No CEL.
I’m checking the transmission fluid tomorrow and I’m also going to unplug the battery for a half hour to reset the ecu.. any thoughts or suggestions? Bad solenoid pack maybe?? My transmission dip stick has the plastic tan tip with hash marks that say hot on it… how can I be sure it’s reading accurately besides running to operating temp and on a level surface?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One side reads cold level, the other reads hot. Truck doesn’t have to be hot to check the level.

harsh shift from 1-2 is often a broken accumulator spring
Easy enough to replace
Drop pan, remove accumulator cover, replace broken spring
Carefully, using a floor jack, you can put the new spring and accumulator back together

I have seen this quite a few times over the years

harsh shift from 1-2 is often a broken accumulator spring
Easy enough to replace
Drop pan, remove accumulator cover, replace broken spring
Carefully, using a floor jack, you can put the new spring and accumulator back together

I have seen this quite a few times over the years
I don’t have a Jack or stands.. is this an expensive fix if I take it to a machaic? He’s very honest and reliable

Nah, easy day.

I removed my springs in accordance with the J-Mod. Give it a google if you’re curious.

No springs is actually nice shifting—silky smooth when you baby it, snappy when you get on it. But a broken spring can lodge in there and jam up the accumulator, and that will cause really harsh shifting

Also, check that the throttle position sensor is < 1 v at idle, and rises smoothly to 4.6 v or so at wide open throttle. No spikes, or drops in voltage should be observed. Key on, engine off.

Back