Royal Purple, Purple Ice Coolant Additive? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Royal Purple, Purple Ice Coolant Additive?

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
Hey all,
I just saw this endorsed by TrucksTV, and was wondering if anyone has used it: Dead Link Removed
It's an additive to the coolant which supposedly reduces temps, lubricates, etc. The chemistry of it looks sound after hunting down info on it.

I usually don't go after additives and tornado-type mods, but this looks like it might be useful. My motor runs pretty hot with the supercharger on it, and any way I can cool it down would be helpful.

Oh, and how many qts does our coolant system use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know about this additive, but I have been using Royal Purple in all my Vehicles and I love the stuff. You should try switching over to there fluids.

I'm already running Merc V in the tranny, Motorcraft synthetic in the diff. I don't want to switch over to synthetic motor oil cause that would most likely open up a leak I have. I'll probably switch to synthetic oil when I get my motor rebuilt.

Anyone else have more info?

Sorry I don't have any personal experience, just thought I would share my analysis.

If you plan on running with standard 50/50 antifreeze water mixture then you will only see a 2.6% drop in temp according to their data. If you are running straight water (which isn't recommended by them) then you see a more substantial drop in temp around 9%. If it helps prevent corrosion and lubes the water pump then I don't see how it could hurt.

me and some friends run "water wetter", which is made by, i think, red line. works pretty well. my truck doesnt run hot or anything, but some of my friends cars do. check it out.

Alec,

If you're not having any overheating problems now, I would not use it. The engines perform best when the coolant temp is in the 190 to 195 range. If the coolant temp stays below that, the PCM will keep the engine running rich.

Originally posted by tbomb
me and some friends run "water wetter", which is made by, i think, red line. works pretty well. my truck doesnt run hot or anything, but some of my friends cars do. check it out.
Alec, that stuff is pretty much the same as the Water Wetter. dont know about the royal purple, but the Water Wetter is simply awesome. i have experience with it, and know several guys around here that use it in blown mustangs/LS1's. if it werent for the Water Wetter, my bronce would run hot all the time. i tried it as a last resort, and only wish i would have tried it first.

AgExplorer- that stuff isnt gonna make the coolant temps change in the way your thinking. if the thermostat is 195 degrees, than it will open at 195 degrees. this stuff was designed for modded engine/engine swap applications, and basically just lets the coolant transfer heat quicker. there is no coolant in the world that will make a 195 degree stat open at 180 degrees. Alec is running an Eaton supercharger, and they are known for producing quite a bit of heat. this stuff was designed for applications just like his.

... and to add...

also, since you live in the south, run less antifreeze. i have ran 30%antifreeze/70%water in my bronco (and other vehicles) and have never had a problem. basically, water transfers heat alot better than antifreeze. the more water you use, the better results you will get with the royal purple stuff.

I have heard that running less than 50% coolant will cause corrosion. Is this true? I have had to replace two radiators recently, so don't want to promote corrosion.

never had that problem. ive been running this mixture in my vehicles for several years. the corrosion is usually from using tap water. run 30/70 with distilled water, and it aint gonna corrode. i know ALOT of people that use tap water. not a good idea if you're gonna keep the car long-term.

also, you have to understand, unless you have serious motor mods, there is no reason to run 30/70. for stock to mild engines, or northern climates, 50/50 is best.

Anyone have a link to this "water wetter" product?

Just wanna look into it for the 5.0 b/c all i've heard is a general consensus says 5.0's tend to run warm.
Pete

Originally posted by james t
never had that problem. ive been running this mixture in my vehicles for several years. the corrosion is usually from using tap water. run 30/70 with distilled water, and it aint gonna corrode. i know ALOT of people that use tap water. not a good idea if you're gonna keep the car long-term.

also, you have to understand, unless you have serious motor mods, there is no reason to run 30/70. for stock to mild engines, or northern climates, 50/50 is best.

I would assume that the factory fill uses distilled right? Also, since I just had the rediators replaced, I should probably dump the fluid and refill, siince it's unlikely they used distilled water. Once tap water has been used, the corrosion will stop upon using distilled won't it?

I always usa tap water, as when I flush out the system with that Prestone kit, it leaves all the water needed in the engine such that I just add 100% antifreeze to obtain a 60/40 mix.
If there was a way to use all distilled water I would do so, but I haven't figured it out.

I am sure that all facilities use tap water when antifreeze is changed.(including the dealers) And also, I am sure that people with well water have more problems than those with city.

I was thinking about using one of those inline water filters to keep the minirels and such down to a minimum when flushing.

BTW, has anyone seen that Prestone now has prediluted antifreeze out? Now you can buy 1/2 a gallon of antifreeze for the same price as a gallon LOL

Comments?

Tell us more about the water filter you mention?

I'll try WaterWetter when I get around to it ;)

Thanks!

Originally posted by wpurple
BTW, has anyone seen that Prestone now has prediluted antifreeze out? Now you can buy 1/2 a gallon of antifreeze for the same price as a gallon LOL
Comments?
Yes, and at first I thought it was dumb, but then again if you need to top off your coolant, this would be a no hassle way to do it. Also, it probably has distilled water in it.

Originally posted by wpurple
If there was a way to use all distilled water I would do so, but I haven't figured it out.
they sell it at WalMart for about a buck a gallon. its right there with the rest of the drinking water (in gallon "milk jugs").

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back