Running 3.27 with 33s

robmurt04

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4WD
I have a 1994 ex with 33x12.5s tires. I currently have 3.27 gears :thumbdwn:

I want to save up the $$ to re-gear front and back and priced it out to be around $600 for yukon 4.56 gears with install kit. I was wondering if anyone had an estimated price of install for the gears.

The problem comes not only with saving up enough money, but convincing my Dad the ex needs the gears.

He's arguing that "his friends truck (01 Chevy with a worked V8) and stock gears (4.56s) and 37 inch tires works fine the explorer will too, it's a waste of money."

If anyone can give me some ideas of WHY regearing is good please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll blow your already POS tranny and spend a lot more fixing it than swapping gears.

Your explorer doesn't have a worked v8 and has a POS tranny.

You'll spend less swapping gears than replacing your POS tranny.

In conclusion, your already POS tranny and performance will suffer and cost you more than swapping gears.

I have a 1994 ex with 33x12.5s tires. I currently have 3.27 gears :thumbdwn:

I want to save up the $$ to re-gear front and back and priced it out to be around $600 for yukon 4.56 gears with install kit. I was wondering if anyone had an estimated price of install for the gears.

The problem comes not only with saving up enough money, but convincing my Dad the ex needs the gears.

He's arguing that "his friends truck (01 Chevy with a worked V8) and stock gears (4.56s) and 37 inch tires works fine the explorer will too, it's a waste of money."

If anyone can give me some ideas of WHY regearing is good please help.

Simply put your explorer is working in the wrong power band.. The only time its semi okay is on flat level ground where you don't have to push it. As you already know from driving around 3.27s and 33s feels like the transmission is always in the wrong gear (too high). Like trying to climb a step hill on a mountain bike in 3rd gear when it should be in 1st. The additional strain on the drive train is not to be dismissed (it is definitely causing much greater wear than if you were running 4.56s). A V8 is more able to compensate for this than a 165hp 4.0L in the Explorer, but in both cases the Transmission is being overworked.

Hell make it easy, just let him drive it. If he can't see the need you will never convince him.

Hell make it easy, just let him drive it. If he can't see the need you will never convince him.

If that won't convince him then nothing will :thumbsup:

if its really just a money thing you can go down to a pick n pull yard and get a 8.8 complete rear end off a newer X with 4.10 gears for super cheap and then just have to pay for gears and install on the ttb....i dont think there are any ttb set ups with 4.10 gears.....

but ya like Xjames said....let him drive it, that WILL convince him haha

You'll blow your already POS tranny and spend a lot more fixing it than swapping gears.

Your explorer doesn't have a worked v8 and has a POS tranny.

You'll spend less swapping gears than replacing your POS tranny.

In conclusion, your already POS tranny and performance will suffer and cost you more than swapping gears.

So what your trying to tell us is the a4ld is a pos tranny?

Just want to be sure!
:D

I had this same issue. My dad and everyone said "It doesn't need gears" and "the trans will adapt to the bigger tires:rolleyes:"...so what I did...

saved up and bought gears anyway:D

why is everyones dad sooooooo ANTI gears?

my buddy had a ranger on 33's....stock rear end.....his dad wouldnt let him do gears....thought it was a waste of money

i think it's because those dad's have already done gears, and they know what a nightmare such a simple job can turn into.
F shims!

I think it is because some dads (mine) don't know anything about explorers/rangers and think they know everything...I guess its just a dad thing.

why is everyones dad sooooooo ANTI gears?

my buddy had a ranger on 33's....stock rear end.....his dad wouldnt let him do gears....thought it was a waste of money

I think it is because some dads (mine) don't know anything about explorers/rangers and think they know everything...I guess its just a dad thing.

It depends.. Some dads may be used to high power engines where HP can over come incorrect gearing, or maybe going from 3.73s to 4.10s where the difference is very subtle. Lets face it gearing can be confusing and many dads may not fully realize the importance of proper gearing. In all cases dads are just trying to look out for your best interest and not have you blow $ on unnecessary stuff (like the tornado :p:)

Maybe I am the only one who sees it this way but... If you are old enough to drive I think you are old enough to decide what to do with your own vehicle...

The problem is not with convincing your dad.. but convincing yourself its ok to stick up to him when you know he is wrong.

Back