Saginaw steering pump fluid type??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Saginaw steering pump fluid type???

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
Hey guys...I'm getting ready to install a saginaw pump (20-6244 heavy duty for a 79 F-250) into my Ranger ('99 4.0). Did pumps of this year ('79) use trans fluid like my current one does? I took the cap off of the new pump and there is definately what looks like trans fluid residual (it's red) on the inside.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...They did use ATF but, using a synthetic like Royal Purple or Red Line power steering fluid, from the beginning would help it live a long and healthy life...;)

...The following is from this thread...:biggthump
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240227&highlight=agr

Why did you use "Royal Purple" instead of ATF?
...Note found in box on install instructions...

"Use only clear, name brand, premium, racing or synthetic power steering fluid, such as Royal Purple or Red Line. Do not use transmission fluid, as transmission fluid does not contain the same friction inhibitors/additives and tends to breakdown and overheat. Use of transmission fluid will void warranty.

TBARS, but I'm using a Saginaw-brand pump, not an AGR pump. It's a totally different pump...Ford just added a different bracket to the "non-Ford" pump so it would work...look at this thread...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=526096

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you? That AGR pump does look sweet!

...Your question was on the fluid and I have owned an F250 for every year from the 60's thru the eighty's...

...The emphasis of my last post was on the fluid and it's properties...I'm sorry if you thought I meant get an AGR pump....

.."Do not use transmission fluid, as transmission fluid does not contain the same friction inhibitors/additives and tends to breakdown and overheat."

...This thread also talks about the saginaw swap on a Bronco....
http://wt4x4.net/tech/saginawswap.htm

...If you start reading a couple paragraphs above the "Results" section at the bottom, you will see he used atf and Power steering fluid has better properties...The synthetics are better yet and he somewhat explains it...

...Bottom line:

1)ATF Type "F" is stock
2)Power steering fluid for replacement of Ford ATF type "F" is better
3)Synthetic power steering fluid is the best

...I hope this helps but I know Izwack has some better info on the Saginaw pump...;)

TBARS...yeah, I misunderstood you!!! Thanks a TON for the information. I have searched everywhere and no one could answer my question. I really appreciate it!!! Now I just need to find synthetic power steering fluid!

Oh, I forgot to ask...is the fluid filter really needed? Did they come stock?

...I found my synthetic at a local race shop but you can get Royal purple easier from most auto parts houses...

...Filter??? as in that threads diagrahm with the cooler also???...That's an option...;)

TBARS...so I went looking for synthetic power steering fluid today at Advance Auto and they don't carry it anymore (Valvoline SynPower). I'll look more tomorrow. That's what I want to use, but don't know if it would be OK for my rack and pinion, although its all hydraulic fluid.

Mechanic at work thinks that since ATF Type F is stock that a full synthetic Mercon V would work fine.

He also mentioned to remember that my rack and pinion is full of Mercon V and it shares that same fluid with the steering pump...if I switched fluids, wouldn't I have to somehow drain the rack/pinion so I'm not mixing different fluids together?)

...You should be fine with the Merc V...There is also talk about that on the first page of the first link I posted about the AGR..;)

Man, the obvious evades me. Thanks a lot for the enlightenment! I'll be sure to let you know how the install comes (next week, argh!!!). No time anymore. What happened to this world?!

...Do a project thread on it...I am sure others would like info on how it is done...Be sure to take lot's of pics and post a link here...:biggthump

Yeah I totally will...I just have to get my wife to show me how to post the pics, heh. I've always wanted to do a how-to. Thanks again. :chug:

I wish you well with that, do use the PS fluid instead of ATF.

I wish this would help me to use the Saginaw with my 5.0 or SOHC trucks. I know how good the Saginaw pumps are, I've got one somewhere for my old Ranchero.

I like the bolt on PS pulleys of my two trucks, but the PS pumps are not up to hard use. My SOHC truck is a mail vehicle, and I have heavy wheels on my 98 truck.

I appreciate the link showing the Bronco 5.0 stuff. I wonder if those brackets can possibly be cut and welded together with my brackets. I have to keep the AC compressor on the side, and the PS up top.

...:scratch:...Do I smell another project in the making???...:D

CDW, TBARS and I concluded that the Mercon V should work fine. The original fluid the Saginaw ran was Ford Type F transmission fluid, so there's no reason that a fully synthetic transmission fluid like Mercon V that my current steering pump/rack and pinion use should cause any problems, especially considering that I could run synthetic power steering fluid.

If I had a 78-79 (which I dream of having one day, fully restored!) I'd probably be using the Ford Type F fluid that it used from the factory!

What years were the Hi-boys built? Are they hard to find? What were the modifications from Ford?

Hmm, maybe I better quit using normal power steering fluid.. Mine leaks so fast it'll get cycled out anyways!

Back