SAS Part 2 the rebuild | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS Part 2 the rebuild

OK I have made the decision that I am going to redo my SAS. I would like to do a radius arm setup, and hopefully use my current grand waggy axle.

So my question is does anyone know if the axle is wide enough to use the weld on wedges? Or will I have to get some builder brackets and modify them to weld on to the cast housing?

These are the wedges i was planning on using;

CBUSHINGTABS.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well now that this is back alive....

I have the same problem with leaf springs as Chad considering I have the same axle and setup. [MENTION=4189]RockRanger[/MENTION], do you have any close up pics of your coil mounts on the short side up front? I looked at your build thread but couldn't really tell how it was welded to the cast housing and the tube. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can get some but it won't be for a month. It has been like 8 years sense I did the swap. Off the top of my head though I put a flat plate over the spring perch and then next to the housing on the axle tube is where I welded the outer tab for the lower link. The inner I welded to the cast housing and if i remember right I notched it around a gusset for the center section. I will see if I have any pictures on my computer.

Appreciate it a bunch.

Best I have on the computer. I will try to get a better shot when I get back to my truck next time.

Attachments

• 385.jpg
    385.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 250

Oh nice that's definitely a good use of space and you get a trussed axle in the process. Thanks again! I'm probably a couple years out from actually converting to coils and who knows maybe by that time I'll find some FW 60s to throw under it for some more stability.

Back