Fish Man

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Hey guys,
I'm trying to plan out my swap and SOA so I can start getting some parts together. I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of swaps and different ways to do it, and reading the inevitable 20 page build threads and still not finding the answer I'm after. Sorry to be so needy, but so far I've come up with a handful of specific questions.

Front axle that I'm planning to use is a D44 out of a dodge 1500, narrowed to 63" wms to wms, converted to leaf springs under the axle. I'd like to SOA it, and think this could work if I swap to a bent drag link for clearance. Does this sound/look reasonable? I've read about a lot of different leaf springs people are running. Is there a general consensus? Mine is a 4.0l, would the 5 leaf wagoneer springs be adequate or do I need 7 leaf? Is there something that would be more appropriate for this set up? I was planning to run the F350 shock towers, any problem there? View media item 631View media item 632
Rear axle is going to be the stock 8.8, SOA, with wheel spacers/adapters to get closer to the same track width and match the front axle's 5x5.5 pattern. My stock leafs are pretty flat, and I've heard they only get flatter being SOA, is there an off the shelf pack that will work well? For simplicity I was going to use the stock shock mount moved to the top of the leaf pack, how long of a shock will I need? How long of brake lines?

Again, sorry to be so needy, and for the poor pictures, every time I start digging through old threads I feel like I know less about the direction I want to take this than when I started. :dunno:

Did you ever find what your looking for? I too wish the old photos were still in the threads

Check out the ARB ome 1.5" lift leaf springs and search for f150 leaf pack build for explorer. The rest of it hopefully someone else will help, as the most common sas tends to be Dana 30 from a xj and a Dana 44 from an early bronco

Im putting a D30 in my Gen2 V8; waiting for a few more parts... going to be fun!

Back