School me - Looking at a 98 V8 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

School me - Looking at a 98 V8 Explorer

CvrnRth

Reaction score
City, State
Erie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
So I'm rather a newbie to the 2nd gen Explorer World, Had a 94 Jeep YJ all built up on D44/9" and 37's, also had a sport trac with a TT/Shackle lift and 33's at one point.

Now with a baby on the way I had to sell the YJ and am looking for something 4door 4wd to DD and do some light wheeling/camping.

I've recently found a deal on a 98 Explorer, V8, 4wd. Its got roughly 110k on it. It has been sitting for roughly 5 months, needs a brakeline and 4 new tires according to the owner. Havn't gotten to hear it run yet as the battery was dead and I havn't been back out to see it with a set of jumper cables.

My question is, what should i be on the lookout for? Anything specific to check? With the bad brakeline a test drive will more then likely be out of the question, but considering they said they'd take $500 for it, and I've got a set of 33" Cooper STT's on wheels that'll fit already I should be able to get this thing up and running in no time.

Just need a little schooling!

Thanks!
Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just check the normal things. Check the fluids and front end suspension parts. The v8 auto is a pretty solid rig. Just an FYI itll need lift for those 33s to fit. Also, there are no v8 4x4s they are AWD...

As far as the lift goes definatly would be planning a TT/AAL/Shackle and BL. Also planning to build a winch bumper to house my Ramsey Patriot 9500 i kept off the YJ. And Also some rock sliders.

How does the AWD hold up when lifted? What about running a rear locker? I have experience with the 8.8 rears as we Jeep folk love that axle. Anyway to swap to a part-time tcase?

Thanks again from a misguided Jeeper.

As far as the lift goes definatly would be planning a TT/AAL/Shackle and BL. Also planning to build a winch bumper to house my Ramsey Patriot 9500 i kept off the YJ. And Also some rock sliders.

How does the AWD hold up when lifted? What about running a rear locker? I have experience with the 8.8 rears as we Jeep folk love that axle. Anyway to swap to a part-time tcase?

Thanks again from a misguided Jeeper.

AWD should hold up as long as the tires are all the same size. A lot of guys swap out for the manual transfer case BW 4406, should be some swap how to's on here. You'll gain selectivity between 2wd and 4x4, as well as gaining 4 low. It also frees up some extra power.

No issues with a locker with either case that I know off. It should have 3.73 gears in it, think all AWD models did.

For 500 bucks I can't see how this thing won't be worth it if it runs and drives.

I see you are from Erie, I'm up there time to time to visit a buddy...

Yep, originally from Pitt area, wheeled Casparis a time or two down near you as well.

So the AWD tcase, does it have low-range? I'd definatly be looking for a manual tcase to swap in as i hate AWD. With the amount of snow we get up here 2wd with the 5.0L would be a blast.

no LO range with AWD. no range selection at all. 65% of the power goes to the rear wheels and 35% to the front (unless slippage is detected). not bad for off road use, just not as good as a 4x4 t-case with a LO range. the 5.0 V8's are very reliable had have strong transmissions. as stated, you can install the F150 manual t-case behind the auto trans.

No low range on the AWD, which is most of the reason guys switch to the BW4406.

Well finally got out to look this thing over REALY well.

Its a 5.0, Auto, 158k, All Power Everything

Bad:
It starts, but only with starting fluid, can't hear the pump running, beat on the tank and nothing.
Needs rear hard lines on the axle, brake fluid everywhere.
Trans cooler lines running under the front both leaking fluid everywhere.
Rear shackles rusted out completely. (Excuse for lift shackles)
Rear hatch is rusted out all along the bottom.
All the tires are shot, its been sitting since 6-2011 atleast.

Good:
Rockers and doors are solid, there isnt a speck of rust anywhere else.
All the power options work, seats, windows, locks, etc.

And i can get it for $450

I've purchased two 2nd gen (97s) v8's in the past year on the cheap, and have been extremely satisfied. One has over 200k and still going strong. Like Sport97 said, this V8 auto is a pretty solid rig.

A couple of minor things I would "school" someone on that happen a lot to the 2nd gens (on this forum and to both of mine :D ):

- camshaft position sensor/synchro tends to go on Fords of these years. Consensus seems to be to get the motorcraft or cardone reman unit. I've read that when these go, it *could* make it difficult to start the engine (amongst other, far worse things), but I realize this one has been sitting a while and isn't necessarily your problem.

- there was a big safety issue years ago with the cruise control speed sensor starting fires with engine off. It's a super easy fix and dealerships should still do it for free.

- rockauto.com for parts has been great to me, and we get a discount there

If you have any other issues, I could almost guarentee you'll be able to find a solution somewhere on this forum. It's great.

No Lo, that's just stupid.

If I may interupt; what trans does the 5.0 have?

4R70W with all the latest design revisions. 98 and up are as strong a trans as Ford ever made. It's a 4 speed with overdrive.

1st Gear: 2.84:1
2nd Gear: 1.55:1
3rd Gear: 1:1
4th Gear: .7:1

Very reliable.

And if anyone says the AWDs can't wheel, they're wrong. They might not be the best rockcrawlers since they don't have a low range, but I took a stock AWD Ex anywhere I wanted to and never got stuck, even on steep ice hills and two feet of snow. Besides, when the transfer case (BW4404) detects slippage, it can transfer power to a 50-50 split, just like a 4HI transfer case.

Can you check the door jamb and tell us your axle code?

46 is open diff 3.73s, and D4 is limited slip 3.73s. The limited slip works great for street use and mild offroading. It can still pull you out of some tough obstacles, but not as good as a locker, and the extra heat on the clutches from heavy offroading can wear it out faster.

The one big thing that most people tend to have problems with is exhaust leaks, from either the EGR, the EGR tube, the DPFE hoses, or the manifolds themselves. If you hear a ticking noise then those are the first places to look.

The issue with fires was the emergency cruise disable switch, which sits in the master brake cylinder and is 'always hot' (connected directly to the battery). Ford's solution is to insert an in-line fuse into the harness. This was a recall, so any sensible owner should have had it done years ago. If not, they should, as there is no time limit.

- there was a big safety issue years ago with the cruise control speed sensor starting fires with engine off. It's a super easy fix and dealerships should still do it for free.

i checked the axle code already and its the D4 which makes it the limited slip. Im well familiar with 4wds. Just not familiar with fords.

I know ultimately I could unload that rear axle for nearly the price of the rig to the right jeeper. HAHA.

Hoping I don't get myself in too deep. Ideally id like to do the Pa 883, Warrior Shackles and a TT, maybe some sort of AAL in the rear. That should help me clear the 33" Cooper STT's on 15x8 steelies ive got.

I hate regular tie-rod ends so I need to find a way to get my hands on the dixon clevis' so that I can build a rod end steering setup.

I have a tube bender so sliders and bumpers would be home built to house my Ramsey Patriot 9500.

The only thing i don't like is trying to find the tcase to swap into it, as I use 4lo alot in the wheeling that we do.

Thanks again!
Nick

4R70W with all the latest design revisions. 98 and up are as strong a trans as Ford ever made. It's a 4 speed with overdrive.

Thanks.

Almost all the wheeling I do is on sand. In soft sand you really have to have low range.

well i pulled the trigger. Picked it up for $450 cash. now the repair and mods will begin, pics will be posted soon.

-Nick

Thanks.

Almost all the wheeling I do is on sand. In soft sand you really have to have low range.

No you don't. I only use 4wd less than 10% of the time is sand, the other 90% I'm in 2 HI.

Well i got it home.

First Pic of it:
8670817826_c7cb033bcb.jpg

DSCN0479 by coverinearth, on Flickr

And what it looks like now:
8670815720_db83a3c07d.jpg

DSCN0493 by coverinearth, on Flickr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how can i tell if my 98 has had the recall fixed?

Back