SCT info needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SCT info needed

cheeech

Reaction score
First off, I have a 1996 4.0L OHV terd.:thumbdwn: I found a local guy selling his SCT Xcalibrator2 that he used on his mustang. It shows up on SCT's webpage that it will work for 96-04 4.0L's. Since there's 2 diff 4.0L's I figured I'd ask if it was legit to use and if it will liven this tank up at all? I'm leaning towards yes because the OHC didn't come out till '98 if I'm not mistaken, but I wanna be sure.
He wants $150 but he said he would take $120. Ofcourse I would install the tune before driving away to verify if it's unlocked..duh..:rolleyes:
I've done some searching and come up empty handed and SCT doesn't give crap for info other than the HP/TQ specs which I' not sure I truley believe..19rwhp/26rwtq???
Also, would I have to have it flashed to my vehicle or can I just run the stock program tune? iIt's been so long since i used the basic SCT platform. I can't remember if it's universal or just supports those range of vehicles with a custom tune only?

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is what I would do. I would make sure that it is not VIN locked, then buy it if it will work on your truck. Go over to his house, and try to use it on your truck. If it has a canned tune that will load onto your truck, then you are in business. Any questions you have, you can call SCT and they will answer. I've been on the phone with them in the past, and I can vouch that they have very good over-the-phone tech supposrt. Then think about having a custom tune written.

If it says "Xcalibrater 2" on the front, DO NOT attempt to program your vehicle until you have a tune loaded to the X2 that is specific to your vehicle's processor code (box code, strategy, tear tag). The X2 pn 9400 is a custom tuning device with space for up to three tunes.

The SF 9415 looks similar and does come preloaded with SCT tunes. It would say Strategy Flash on the label and give you a long list of vehicles to pick from after you select Install Tune. If it doesnt give you a list of vehicles, but instead lists one to three tunes, then its been converted to an X2.

Here's how to check the status of the device and unlock it.

FOR THE X2 9400 AND THE SF 9415:

* Power up the device by plugging in to either a vehicle's OBDII port or a computer's USB port. (usb cable not included)
* Once powered up, scroll all the way down to device info.
* Press select, this will display firmware version and serial number.
* Press select again, and this will display the Tuner Status.
* NOTE: If it does not take you to the Tuner Status Window, and instead kicks you back to the Device Info Screen, Your Firmware is Old and will Need to be Updated to check the status. There is an FAQ section for this. Status will either be: Stat=Stock, Stat=Aftermarket, or Stat=Unused.

*This is the breakdown of what each one means:*
* Stat=Stock - Your tuner is half locked, but fixable. Go the the tech support page, select the Ford Xcalibrator 2 in the first drop down, select Device Update Software in the second drop down and hit Search. Download Liveload 3 by clicking the "Click Here to Download" next to it. Install this application, once installed open it up, plug in the X2. The program asks the X2 to be on the main menu. Program Vehicle is the main menu of the X2s. Press the unlock button within the liveload application. This will change the status to Unused and the tuner will then be ready to tune a new vehicle.

* Stat=Aftermarket - The vehicle is VIN locked, you need to either return the vehicle it is currently locked to back to stock, or you will need to call Tech Support and Get a Return Authorization, send it the Device and pay an Unlocking Fee.

* Stat=Unused - Your tuner is not locked, go tune.

Back