Sea Foam Insertion Point | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sea Foam Insertion Point

I wanna do this on my V8 but i need very detailed pics please help me!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im gonna do a 1200 mile trip from Miami Florida to Houston Texas and would like to clean my engine before departing please help me!! thanks in advance!!

V8

No help here from me on the V8, but here is a link to a related post.

V8 Seafoam

I've never used the seafoam brand, but I have used other top end cleaners on older carb motors. With them the procedure was to slowly pour in 1/2 the bottle into the top of the carb while reving the engine. Then quickly pour in the second half so fast that you choke the motor to a stop. Wait about 15-30 min. Restart car. Enjoy the show. I did this with my 80 T-bird and my 85 GP.

No help with Explorers, just letting you know top end cleaning is nothing new.

FexplorerV8 said:
im gonna do a 1200 mile trip from Miami Florida to Houston Texas and would like to clean my engine before departing please help me!! thanks in advance!!

I did mine through the brake booster line. It seemed to get in there fine and produced a nice cloud of deadly fog. I didnt notice any change in performance or MPG. It was running very well to begin with. I think using synthetics, regular system cleaners (ie fuel system/injector cleaners) and good gas tend to negate the need for a seafoam treatment.

Photo of V8 Intake

Found a photo of the 5.0 V8 intake manifold. Hope this helps someone. I would think you could find some combination of ports to feed both the front and the back of the motor. The back of the motor would be on the left in the photo.

underside of 5.0 V8 intake

Billy177 said:
18335seafoam.jpg

for future reference that is the iac hose. it is in my opnion the best way to use seafoam. just rember to unplug the maf first or it will not start with the hose unplugged

I just did this tonight. It was the easiest way to do it.

Unplug the hose. Have a friend bump the RPMs up to 1800 or so (I wedged a stick between the throttle and the radiator housing, did it just fine.)

Then pour the Seafoam into the tube (not into the rubber intake hose). The vacuum will SUCK it into the tube really nicely, and you can pour upwards of a whole can through slowly, backing off when the engine is about to die.. About 80% of can through, I got some smoke, so I rushed the rest (safely, but quickly).

Turned off the motor, let it sit 10-15 minutes, then took it out for a ride.

It smoked like crazy for the first few seconds, I left an impenatrable fog in front of my house, and then smoked badly up the next 1/4 mile or more at 25mph. Then it just looked like I had a very bad car. I drove it for another mile plus, still smoked while taking off from a start (and at idle). Took it on the freeway and it all cleared up.

My Explorer has 146K miles, no other treatments of any kind in the past.

It did seem to make my engine respond better, but it's not a panacea. At least not for my old beater engine.

Sea Foam Succcess/IAC valve questions

I agree with Billy's method. The IAC method is the least intrusive. I turned it upwards slightly, popped a funnel into it, and went to town. When it was near dying, I used the throttle cable to keep it alive. After half a bottle, I turned the truck off and let it sit for 7-8 minutes. It took to (non-gas-pedal-assisted) attempts to start, but on the second attempt, it was near dying at first, and I gave it a little gas. After about 10 seconds, it was running fine, with a smoke screen that would make James Bond jealous. My neighbor thought that I had broken my car. I took it for a drive around the area (about 2 miles), where I did lots of stopping and starting, and ran the throttle wide open a couple of times.

It's purring like a kitten now, with over 136k miles. Of course, I also cleaned my MAF sensor and throttle body today, so they may be related. I haven't touched the IAC valve yet because I wanted to replace the gasket (the Chilton's piece of crap manual I have recommends it, so I figured I would be on the safe side and do it) when I do it, except that local parts stores don't sell the gasket. I presume that a gasket is included with a new part... so I'll take it off tomorrow and give it a look-over; if it's dirty, rather than cleaning it, I'll just replace it.

To those that are considering using Sea Foam, I'm about as mechanically retarded as they come, and it was a snap.

A couple of questions for those that know a bit about parts: AutoZone sell sells a Wells brand part, but O'Reilly sells Borg-Warner and Motorcraft brand parts. The Wells and Borg-Warner are comparable at about $40, but the Motorcraft part is twice that much. Is it that good, or just because it's a recommended Ford/OEM-type part?

so... i'm interested in running this stuff thru my ex... but am still not 100% sure where to put it...

earlier someone said about the first gen ohvs
On the OHV there is a small port tube on the bottomside of the TB right before it meets the upper intake, you can attach a small piece of hose and feed it directly into your TB... thereby cleaning your whole system.

i'm not sure where this is.... i looked around and didnt see it.... heres a picture if someone wants to point out where it is
P6291849.JPG

For 2nd gen owners there is now a thread in Useful Threads which may help you!

JStrider said:
so... i'm interested in running this stuff thru my ex... but am still not 100% sure where to put it...

earlier someone said about the first gen ohvs

i'm not sure where this is.... i looked around and didnt see it.... heres a picture if someone wants to point out where it is
P6291849.JPG

so i just used seafoam on this same engine, and was having a hard time finding a place to insert it. so i removed the MAF and that end of the intake. if you look in the picture, about where the letter "N" is for the word "FAN" on the intake, on the back side there is a sensor that goes in the intake. I removed this, and inserted a funnel. i then just sucked the seafoam in through the intake this way. anyone see a problem with this? i am letting it sit now, and will be starting it in 20 mins. any problems suspected? what is the downside to doing it this way? thanks, todd.

ok, so READ the post above... in response:

i started the truck 20 mins later and:

it smoked hard for the first 10 secs, then i tried to drive it and, it stopped smoking and the check engine light came on.

i also sprayed down the MAF with Radio Shack contact cleaner, and sprayed the sensor (the one i mentioned that i removed ; all prior to replacing the intake) with the same cleaner. i don't have a code reader, so i don't know what codes i'm throwing, but something is obvsiously worse than before.

I NEED HELP!!!

You need to get the code before we can offer suggestions.

Good luck .......

i've heard that advanced auto parts will check codes for free, is this true?

well, i changed out spark plugs and wires today, and the light went away....

still, anyone see a problem with sucking the seafoam in through the intake? just wondering, because it's so easy, there must be a reason people aren't doing this.

Seafoam Thru Intake

I did the same thing the other day. I have a MAC intake. Disconnected at the MAF and pointed it strait up in the air. Ran about 8oz of SeaFoam thru and got the best cleaning I have had. You have to rev the engine a little more to open up the TB, but it did the trick.

In the past I used the PVC line, but was still getting knocking. I think I was not getting the front two cylinders.

so why the huge argument on where to insert this stuff? the intake can be removed with one screw.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is no Argument, commen sense would dictate that seafoam should enter the plenum, front to back as the airflow do's, therby feeding all cylinders, invision putting it in via the brake booster, against the airflow

Back