Sea-Foam | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sea-Foam

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport 90k, 94 Xlt 157k
Hello Everyone, today i decided to sea-foam my explorer. :)

The engine was warmed up before i started, (i had to go get tubing from the local Ace-Hardware) so when i got home i shut off the engine, popped the hood, took off the cover for the throttle linkage, took off the intake hose and removed the throttle body hose, and hooked up my length of clear hose, got my glass and filled it with 1/3 can of sea-foam, started the engine, slowly let the sea-foam get sucked into the intake, after the 1/3 cup was gone, i went to go to shut off the engine, i noticed that the check engine light was on so i just shut the engine off.:eek:

Then i put everything back on, then i waited 10 minutes. When i went to start it, it started fine, but i didnt see any smoke. As soon as i left my driveway, the engine made this ticking/knocking noise as i was heading down the street. :mad: Is that normal?! Throughout driving various speeds/ and RPM's the engine continued to tick/or knock, but it got better and then finally quit after driving for like 30 minutes. I hope it didnt bend any valves or twist any connecting rods.... what do you guys think? Is this normal after using sea-foam? Do you think it did any harm to my valves or connecting rods or pistons/rings?? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why'd you shut it off after sucking up the sea foam?

I thought after you are done sucking it up , you are supposed to let it sit for a while, they said the longer the better. So that it breaks apart the gum and carbon

I don't remember whether or not I did. Seems like a way to do some damage though.

On the can it says after the vacuum sucks up the fluid, that you should turn the ignition off and let it sit for 5 minutes, so i just did 10 minutes

Maybe that was to long. Not sure what's causing the ticking though. But since the noise went away I'd say you're good.

1st the check engine light going on that would be normal as you had removed the air intake tube and were not pulling air threw the MAF sensor and were instead running with un metered air so it would / could also set the check engine light for other sensors such as lean on the O2'a , and ect. No big deal as once all is hooked back up as should be you could reset the ECM with a battery disconnecting.

Now for the sounds your motor made I have never had that my self nor have air had any really big smoke show. The way you drew it into the motor is the way they say to on the can were most of us here use a vacuum port on the vacuum tee for this. what you did should by rights have gotten it to all cylinders and you may have been hearing things work lose then shorting out a plug or two and then having them break free to spear again . That can sometimes be mistake for a knock but if it was a real knock from a rod or bent valve it would not have gone away at all but most likely give time would get louder and worse.

A side note good time to also change your plugs now as many times it can make them so dirty they can have problems fireing. Gut feeling is you did more good then you did harm as I would tend to believe you did nothing bad to your motor just your nerves.

1st the check engine light going on that would be normal as you had removed the air intake tube and were not pulling air threw the MAF sensor and were instead running with un metered air so it would / could also set the check engine light for other sensors such as lean on the O2'a , and ect. No big deal as once all is hooked back up as should be you could reset the ECM with a battery disconnecting.

Now for the sounds your motor made I have never had that my self nor have air had any really big smoke show. The way you drew it into the motor is the way they say to on the can were most of us here use a vacuum port on the vacuum tee for this. what you did should by rights have gotten it to all cylinders and you may have been hearing things work lose then shorting out a plug or two and then having them break free to spear again . That can sometimes be mistake for a knock but if it was a real knock from a rod or bent valve it would not have gone away at all but most likely give time would get louder and worse.

A side note good time to also change your plugs now as many times it can make them so dirty they can have problems fireing. Gut feeling is you did more good then you did harm as I would tend to believe you did nothing bad to your motor just your nerves.

i sucked mine up through the vacumme tube on the break booster, had 4 neighbors ask me if my car was on fire, otherwise, i had a really nice smoke show. lol

the noise was like driven a car that u need high octane gas on low octane gas that from the gas mixing with the seafoam it will be fine it was just leaning out

Back