Seafom treatment on the 1994 Ford Explorer (Video) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seafom treatment on the 1994 Ford Explorer (Video)

Here's a vid I made during a tuneup of the 'truckboattruck' before a trip. LOL

So, is all this smoke a good thing or a bad thing? :scratch:

Now at 268,982 miles on original engine and tranny! I love my girl! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the smoke is the cleaner purging the carbom from the valves, combustion chambers, and pistons.....hope it worked out good for ya

Been using it for a couple of years. Never had a problem with seafoam. :)

I find the truck has more power and a lower idle after using it through the vacuum plenum.

:salute:

It sure does, but did you use it through the Brake Booster line hose or through the Throttle body vaccum line? A lot of people use the brake booster and notice a great improvement, but they're only treating two cylinders; when you use the Throttle Body line it hits all six and will give increased results...

This application was done through the Cruise control Cannister vacuum line with the intake blocked to force the seafoam into all the cylnders. Of course this caused a stall but did a better job then some of my other treatments.

Yes, the smoke is the cleaner purging the carbom from the valves, combustion chambers, and pistons.....hope it worked out good for ya

That's what they want you to think... I think otherwise. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the vast majority of the smoke is the light oil that the SeaFoam is made from. Show me the carbon deposits inside the engine, then run the seafoam through, then show me that they're gone, and then I'll believe the rhetoric.

-Joe

actually I did a seafoam treatment on my vehicle followed by intake gaskets two weeks later due to a lean condition. The cleaner was evident due to my mistake of using only the brake booster line. The back two intake ports were a lot cleaner than the rest. I've since then treated my vehicle to a carbon cleaner through the throttle body line that mawrazen is talking about....

if I have a slight lifter tick at 187,000 miles would this clear it up without having to tear down the top of the engine?

Im getting ready to do this to mine and you have inspired me to do a video of it lol

actually I did a seafoam treatment on my vehicle followed by intake gaskets two weeks later due to a lean condition. The cleaner was evident due to my mistake of using only the brake booster line. The back two intake ports were a lot cleaner than the rest. I've since then treated my vehicle to a carbon cleaner through the throttle body line that mawrazen is talking about....

After 135,000 miles, I'm not really too concerned about this little bit of build-up...

2168608665_fac7f0382e.jpg

Awesome Pic! A before and after (Seafoam) would really Prove or disprove the myth!

Thanks for all the interest! I have been a seafoam fan since finding it on this site.

What lines have people used to insert the seafoam? and why?

Which vacuum line will deliver the best saturation to all 6 cylinders? I have read that the line under the intake and TPS is the best. Who is right?

Thanks to the Explorer Forum community! :salute:

Old post I know but I ever have gotten a good reading on were it is best to insert it into the motor. Can some one point me to be some of the other lines are besides the brake booster line? I am not a fan of using it and would like to know the location and such of the other ones. Even doing a search here I am still puzzled sorry folks I know this is a big can of worms here.

nice video i have been trying to look for seafoam and i have no luck

Seafoam can be puchased at AutoZone Or Advanced Auto or even Pep Boys.

The Price has gone up to about $8 a can. :( I used to find it for $6. Use half a can through the intake and the other half into the gas tank. If you are doing an oil change you can save a 1/3 for the crankcase, just make sure you change your oil after about 20 mins of driving. Good Luck!

I believe in the power of Seafoam!

I would advise you not use seafoam in the oil pan if you have a high mileage engine. Any sludge and build-up that is in the engine will be broken loose from the surfaces they're attached to. In theory, it's supposed to come out the drain plug, but in reality, the sludge MAY block off oil supply somewhere in the lubriation system. I'm not saying it will, but why take the chance? If you're worried about engine sludge and dirty oil, I advise changing it every 1,000 to 1,500 miles until the color remains clean for a prolonged amount of time. At that point you can then resume the 3,000 miles or 3 month rule. Once again, I'm not saying it will blow your engine up, or that it will cause damage, but I won't take that risk on my vehicle, and will not recommend it for anyone, especially anyone on this thread.

Good info Thanks!

I would advise you not use seafoam in the oil pan if you have a high mileage engine. Any sludge and build-up that is in the engine will be broken loose from the surfaces they're attached to. In theory, it's supposed to come out the drain plug, but in reality, the sludge MAY block off oil supply somewhere in the lubriation system. I'm not saying it will, but why take the chance? If you're worried about engine sludge and dirty oil, I advise changing it every 1,000 to 1,500 miles until the color remains clean for a prolonged amount of time. At that point you can then resume the 3,000 miles or 3 month rule. Once again, I'm not saying it will blow your engine up, or that it will cause damage, but I won't take that risk on my vehicle, and will not recommend it for anyone, especially anyone on this thread.

I so agree with this and it is why at 200,000 miles I will not do any thing that is a so called flush in my oil at all not only because of the pick up oil screen but also the posability of a part breaking free and then pluging an oil passage in the motor and some of them are a lot smaller then the pick up screen. now if this had been done all a long then no worry but if not then my thinking is to much of a worry to do it at all better let it alone and keep it running then take the chance. my miles say it can still run with out a flush of any kind. my motor is still strong and runs great . I do use about a qrt. of oil at 1,000 to 1,500 miles but that is a leak when the motor is running only and it is a front gasket leak on the front timing chain cover only but that is the only one just enough to make things messy but never enough to drip any oil or coat the bottom of the truck just the motor and tranny some thats it. been that way almost from ew as the two owners before me had the same thing as I have had with it and I have owned it from about 70,000 miles.

After 135,000 miles, I'm not really too concerned about this little bit of build-up...

2168608665_fac7f0382e.jpg

That's a pretty cool picture... lol..

is that anti freeze on that valve?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure it is.. I've seen anti freeze in there in tear-down pics........

What's it doing in there? Isn't it supposed to be in there?...

Back