seat belt tenioner | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

seat belt tenioner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does it too, I might get adventureous and tear into the workings of mine, but I think the spring has gotten weak that recoils it.

Originally posted by Black Magic
I think I would go to a junk yard for one from a later model before I did that.

The problem with the junk yard assy is that most of the junk yard ones have seen at least one major accident (otherwise they wouldn't be in the junk yard). For safety sake, you are better off with the one you have even if it doesn't retract properly.

I see this problem as a major annoyance, but its not annoying enough to spend $200 on (yet).

Originally posted by sunbum
. Has anyone, as this is a somewhat dated thread, found a solution or actually fixed theirs? (aside from the bungee idea).
Thanks.

What's wrong with the bungie idea? Its good enough for GM, why isn't it good enough for you? ;) :D

Seriously, its one of the most lame things I've seen in a production vehicle, but they actually do this in some GMC and Chevy trucks.

My Samurai had the same problem, but it's fixed now :). I took the seatbelt tensioner apart and re-lubed it. The factory lube had all worn off from years of use, and there was dirt in the grease that was left. I used a lightweight lithium based grease for the job and it works fine. A heavy grease would probably cause it to bind.

Is the tensioner accessible in the Explorer? I wonder what I'd have to remove to get to it enough to lube it?

Ed

Back