How to: - Seat heating pad failure and replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Seat heating pad failure and replacement.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So it's winter and when the heated seat doesn't work, themishmosh isn't a happy boy. The driver's seat was not heating but the passenger seat was fine...a good sign, I thought to myself. The cooling/ventilation was working. I pull codes using Forscan Lite and get Code B1208 - Driver Seat Cushion Temperature Sensor fault. I tried looking this up to see if this was a separate part and found nothing. I assumed it was part of the heating pad. I went to Levittown Ford (forum vendor) and asked Benny to confirm the part number with my VIN#. To my surprise, the part is inexpensive. For my 2020 Explorer ST that has massaging, heated and ventilated seats, the part # is LB5Z-14D696-L. Levittown Ford
I ordered two just in case my other seat decides to fail and also to make the shipping worthwhile.

IMG_8990.jpeg

Here is the How2 from the service manual:

The installation took me about 45 minutes. Because it may be helpful to see pics, here are some from my heater pad replacement for the front driver's side seat.

IMG_9026.jpeg

This is the new part. Take note of the green plug you need to find under the seat.

IMG_9027.jpeg

I did NOT remove the seat but instead raised it as high as it will go. The view is from behind the seat. The heating pad cable is noted.

IMG_9028.jpeg

The seat cover is held on with clips. To make room to access the clips, the seat side trim is removed and the outer front trim is set free. This is the torx screw at the back of the side trim that you need to remove. Please refer to the above service manual link for the proper procedure to remove the side trim: you raise the rear of the trim up then out, then move the entire trim forward. Very little force is needed.

IMG_9031.jpeg

IMG_9030.jpeg

With the side trim removed, another torx screw is removed to free up the outside of the front trim.

IMG_9032.jpeg

There are 5 seat cover clips holding the sides and the front in place. I left the rear of the seat cover as is.

IMG_9033.jpeg

The heating pad is glued to the seat cushion foam top surface. You need to start peeling back the leather cover.

IMG_9034.jpeg

The side-to-side crease is held in by green velcro strips attached to the foam. Take care not to rip the green velcro from the foam.

IMG_9036.jpeg

The front-to-back creases are held in by long, blue plastic pieces attached to the cover that insert into three orange clips (on each side) on the seat cushion foam. Separate them with a plastic trim pry tool. Take care not to spread the orange clips too much or they will lose their clamping ability. Also take care not to pull too hard on the cover and rip the orange clips out of the foam.

IMG_9037.jpeg

Note the position of the green velcro strips and the blue plastic pieces attached to the seat cover.

IMG_9043.jpeg

After carefully peeling off the old heating pad from the seat cushion foam, place the new pad in the same spot, making sure to leave some slack at the creases and aligning the holes with the ventilation holes. There are adhesive patches on the new pad that you just remove the backing and stick it on.

IMG_9047.jpeg

Run the cable in the same spot at the back of the cushion and reattach to the green plug at the bottom of the seat.

I cleared the codes using Forscan Lite and then tested... working seat heater!

On examination of the old heating pad, I noticed a couple of detached wires. These were likely to the cushion temperature sensor. If your issue was the heating element (which some have reported), you may not get the code I did but replacement of the heating pad would still be the proper course of action.
IMG_9041.jpeg

Many thanks (again) to Benny@LevittownFord for the great support and forum discount code!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for an excellent how to article. I am going to set you up with a 3 month Elite Explorer membership for your work. Just give me a minute and it will be done. :thumbsup:

thanks for this - i'm having the exact same issue. Ill try to pull some codes and see what i get - looks like i'm doing this job soon - in single digit weather! :)

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to post. Will be helpful in the future if needed.

well, i have the same code, and just got my part in today. qq for you - did you have to use a heat gun or other heat source to loosen the glue on the old heating element?

well, i have the same code, and just got my part in today. qq for you - did you have to use a heat gun or other heat source to loosen the glue on the old heating element?
No, I did not use the steamer or heat like the manual instructs. I just carefully removed it and it seemed to just come off fine...akin to trying to peel back a sticker without tearing. The seat foam is fragile though so take your time.

Here's a pic of seat foam with the original heating pad peeled off. There are small pieces of leftover adhesive residue that I didn't worry about.

IMG_9040.jpeg

success! My butt is warm again, thanks for this @themishmosh . This took me a little less than an hour to complete. Without this guide it would have been much more

I'll share some if the issues I had. In the heat of the struggle I neglected to take any photos, sorry!

The front leather seat clip is very difficult to get off. you really need to push down on the seat, and i took all the other clips off first. I also ended up tearing the left rear clip even though I was being careful. Seat still seems very secure.

I used a heat gun to soften the glue on the old element. Even then I did pull up a little foam. I applied heat to the front, and got it started, then I kept applying heat to where I was pulling at and the old element came off quite easily with very little damage to the foam. It did leave most of the glue on the foam which ended up making for a nice guide on where to place the new one.

I had real issues routing the new cable the same way as the old. I just couldn't get the green clip thru the same spot. There were other wires there and I didn't want to take the chance of breaking something else. I went slightly to the outside of the same spot and was able to connect it successfully.

Check your part first! I wasted a bunch of time trying to disconnect the cable hanger on the old wire, thinking I needed to re-use it. turn out there is a new one on the new part.

Back