• Register Today It's free!

Second Row center seat stuck

teek

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Mountaineer
A while back the police were going through my truck looking for lord knows what, and they tore the pull strap off the center seat (in the second row) on accident. Worst part is they acted like nothing happened. :censored:
Anyways, I can no longer get the bottom part of the seat to fold up, allowing access to the storage compartment. Does anyone have any idea how to get at it with no pull strap? If I get it up once, I can put a new strap in, but I cant get in position to figure out where the strap went or how it pulls. If someone who has a fold up bucket seat in that spot could just fold it up, pull the strap, and see how the unlocking mechanism works it might be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump. It's still stuck :(

Why didnt you go to the PD and demand they fix it? Anyway if I knew what in the world you were talking about I would try and help, but I dont really understand.

Well my sister came over whit her kids and sat in the third row seat
after she left i wasn't able to get the seats down the lever was stuck
so i was checking and it turn out to be that the cable connects to
a plastic thing witch lets the seats go u and down
that plastic thing might be the problem in your situation just put a bit of wd-40
and jerk it a bit making sure you be careful since it is plastic.

hope this helps.

Why didnt you go to the PD and demand they fix it? Anyway if I knew what in the world you were talking about I would try and help, but I dont really understand.

Not in my home town, and I'd hope they would be doing more important things.

The center seat on the second row, as in the seat in the middle, is supposed to flip up towards the front of the truck to show a storage compartment. Not the seat back, but the actual seat, or where you put your butt. There's a strap you pull to make it happen, and my strap is now gone. I'm trying to figure out how else to make it happen.

Need help with this as well

Not in my home town, and I'd hope they would be doing more important things.

The center seat on the second row, as in the seat in the middle, is supposed to flip up towards the front of the truck to show a storage compartment. Not the seat back, but the actual seat, or where you put your butt. There's a strap you pull to make it happen, and my strap is now gone. I'm trying to figure out how else to make it happen.

I too have broken the same strap in my 2002 mountaineer....and I too cannot get into the console any longer...i even tried moving my other two seats out of the way and trying to pry it up with my hands but got no where.....If you have found anything out i would much appreciate the info

I too have broken the same strap in my 2002 mountaineer....and I too cannot get into the console any longer...i even tried moving my other two seats out of the way and trying to pry it up with my hands but got no where.....If you have found anything out i would much appreciate the info

I'm still without access to it. maybe ill take a swing at it today

Have you been able to figure anything out to get the compartment opened? I Just broke the strap on mine the other day, and cannot open the seat...

i have an 02 at home. i will try and look at it today when i get home and see if i can see how it latch's.

Popped it open with some elbow grease, and a crowbar. The compartment wouldn't be usable with the latch having been broken anyway, so at least I was able to remove the contents and fold the seat back down in place. Not being able to store anything in there isn't really a huge deal to me. Problem solved.

I figured this out a little while back, here's how to do it without breaking anything.

There is a bolt that goes through the bottom of the seat, you cant really see it but if you feel around you will catch it. It's in the middle towards the back. Just remove the nut and you have access to the console. If you are ambitious enough to figure out the latching assembely let me know, i have just been using it with no lock since getting it open.

heres some pics to show what im talking about:
IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

This just happened to me with important things trapped inside. I unscrewed the beveled post from under the seat and removed the nut holding it in. The seat lifted and I had to yank the post out of the latch and threw it away along side the loop/pull that broke off while trying to muscle it open. Now there's no obvious loop so maybe nobody will even know it's there. Especially the police! ;-)

Back