• Register Today It's free!

Sentimental value

mrbrinks

Reaction score
City, State
BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford explorer
Just wondering if any of you guys have sentimental value towards your 1st gen. I'm starting to but everytime I look at it and think of the man hours and money I'm going to have to invest into it, I get discouraged. It's an awesome truck and all, but is it all worth it in the end?

Need some advice from people who have sunk easily thousands and thousands into their 1st gen. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I figured this would be a good starting point. :)

I'm also going to school to be a woodshop/metalshop/mechanics/drafting teacher. So it would be pretty cool to work on it with students and such.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've spent a lot of money on it over the years, but so far it's still worth every penny! I love my first gen!

Some people have 'sentimental value' for their Explorer because of all the time and money that have gone into it.

Whether or not it's worth it to invest your time and money into a vehicle when starting out depends on a lot of factors. Generally, if the vehicle suits your wants/needs, and there really isn't much else out there that could suit those wants/needs for even close to the same amount, it can be a good thing to invest in.

A first gen has its drawbacks, and can be a lot of work to bring back into top shape, but it can also be done pretty inexpensively depending on what you start out with and how resourceful you are as you go along.

I'd also say the first gen Explorer is a great vehicle to learn from by working on. Many of the mechanicals on it are very straightforward, and learning how to do something on the Explorer will teach you things that will apply to most other vehicles, giving you skills you can use the rest of your life. In this sense, buying the tools and the parts to work on it will also be an investment, allowing you to learn how to work on a vehicle, and hopefully letting you become more mechanically inclined as you go along.

Sometimes driving a vehicle that needs only the most basic of maintenance makes the most sense, when you don't have time to work on it and just getting oil and fluid and tire changes is all you'd rather do. If you can find something that suits your wants/needs, and can afford, that is in that kind of condition, it can be worth it, but vehicles have changed quite a bit over the years, and what you can buy these days is a lot different from a first gen or even later gen Explorers. Part of the reason people keep their Explorers and that people keep working on them and fixing them up is that there aren't really a whole lot of better options for the money. Explorers can usually be had rather inexpensively, parts are generally not that hard to get with a few specific exceptions, and if you can deal with the gas mileage, they offer good cargo capacity and load carrying ability, plus the additional benefits of being very off-road capable, and a great vehicle in severe weather conditions.

So if you've decided an Explorer is what you want, it's not a bad idea to spend time and money on it getting to be what you want or need in a vehicle. If there's another vehicle you're more excited about or that seems better suited to your wants/needs, you should probably go with that, since it can be a really bad idea to spend your time and money on a vehicle you're discouraged about putting time and money into. Just keep in mind that most vehicles are built up over the long term, and by spending a few hours every so often, you can have your dream vehicle built up over a period of years. There may be times when you'll need to devote a whole weekend, or hours a day for a few days in a row to some projects in order to get them done quickly enough to get the vehicle back on the road, but other things can just be done as you get the time, money, and parts, or when circumstances allow or you find just what you were looking for.

Whatever vehicle you choose, just be honest with yourself about how you feel about it and whether you really want to spend the time and money on it. If you really like a vehicle for one reason or another, and generally like the idea of owning it and working on it towards a particular goal, then it's usually worth it in the end, even if the final product winds up being different than what you originally planned on, both because you wind up with something that (hopefully) fits your wants and needs perfectly, and because of everything you learned along the way.

Mine was my recently deceased father's. Everyone tells me "yeah, it's in good shape, but don't put too much into it! It can become a money pit!" I don't care. It means something to me. And it's not as if I can find an equivalent newer vehicle (it's got most of the options) at a price lower than repairs. So, I don't mind spending a little on it to mauntain it or replace things. I learned a lot about doing things myself as a teenager on my first car. What I don't know, I am happy to say, you guys are a great help. Especially since this is my first Ford. Then there are the things I can't do, for lack of tools or a place to do it (apartment doesn't appreciate major auto projects in their lot).

Well, mine was technically my first vehicle so right there it got some sentimental value to it. Now I have put a ton of hours and money into it. It's safe to say I would cry if something happened to my Explorer, that's how much I love it! I bought it for $1000 (it was a little overpriced for its condition but it was from my brother who does a lot for me so I'm fine with that.) I have also put almost $1000 into it already! Having no job that's quite an accomplishment for me. I have learned so much since owning it. And because of it I joined the best, most friendly forum on the Internet! :D

I helped my parents build the 94 at the dealer. My dad eventually gave it to me in '03.
A lot of memories tied to it. As long as the body is straight, I can fix the mechanics as needed.
It's also a stick and rides like a truck. It's enjoyable to have.
I also believe in having at least three cars. Just in case one goes down.
Uh, and currently the 94 is down. Swapping some gaskets and hopefully it'll be back soon.
Stupid exhaust manifold bolts.

I've had my 91 since 94 i've done all the work on her myself. We just been through to many things together so many places and she keeps on rolling. I've had so many offers to sell her over the years. Its just not worth selling her for what people want to pay. I don't foresee ever selling mine. She'll have to catch fire and burn up before that happens... Mine sat for almost 7 years. I recently got her rolling again and I've had new energy and been fixing her up.

I bought my ex for800.00 in apr. of 2013 . It has been very dependable & I have done some things to it . most of it pm . some not . I have put close to 20,000 miles on mine . these 1st gen run 300 to 400 thousand miles if you do your pm . the gas mileage is not the best but that is just a small set back . If I had the money & space I would hoard these 1st gens . Plus you have the fine people in this forum to help you out it is just a win win for me !! as anime stated it might not be for you . these 1st gens are dependable so you have to make the choice . If you do you know where to come for help !!!@:salute: I have 262,000 on mine & still racking them up .

It was the dead of winter in Northern Minnesota and my Ford Contour was suffering from major engine problems. A small used car dealer had the Explorer on craigslist, and I liked the idea of a vehicle that was more drivable in bad winter conditions (I often drive to work before the snowplows are out).

I test drove it, and even went to a place where the ice had built up to a sheet and played with the 4x4. I never used 4x4 before and wanted to see what he big deal was. That more or less sold me.

There were other things... I liked the utility aspect, that I could fit something 10 foot long inside and close the hatch. I liked the roominess inside, and I have to admit, I had a special fondness for the big wide armrest in the middle.

I liked the manual hubs, I like things I control directly.

In my opinion, this is towards the end of the era of the shadetree mechanic... towards the end of the time when one could use a box of common tools and stand a good chance of fixing a problem.

Well, as of now, my engine is strong, my transmission is happy, and my drivetrain is solid and well maintained. She is not pretty. Every year, more rust appears, which I beat back into submission with bondo and spray paint.

And I guess I feel a kinship to the old truck. We are both getting close to retirement age, we have our aches and pains, but we have an understanding. I take care of her, and she takes care of me.

It will be a sad day when something catastrophic happens... a major accident, engine or transmission failure. The explorer's body is too far gone to make that kind of repair. Maybe then that happens, I will travel south and try to find another one with some life in it, I don't know, I try not to think about it.

In a phrase, the truck suits me.

~Phil

Some people have 'sentimental value' for their Explorer because of all the time and money that have gone into it.

Whether or not it's worth it to invest your time and money into a vehicle when starting out depends on a lot of factors. Generally, if the vehicle suits your wants/needs, and there really isn't much else out there that could suit those wants/needs for even close to the same amount, it can be a good thing to invest in.

A first gen has its drawbacks, and can be a lot of work to bring back into top shape, but it can also be done pretty inexpensively depending on what you start out with and how resourceful you are as you go along.

I'd also say the first gen Explorer is a great vehicle to learn from by working on. Many of the mechanicals on it are very straightforward, and learning how to do something on the Explorer will teach you things that will apply to most other vehicles, giving you skills you can use the rest of your life. In this sense, buying the tools and the parts to work on it will also be an investment, allowing you to learn how to work on a vehicle, and hopefully letting you become more mechanically inclined as you go along.

Sometimes driving a vehicle that needs only the most basic of maintenance makes the most sense, when you don't have time to work on it and just getting oil and fluid and tire changes is all you'd rather do. If you can find something that suits your wants/needs, and can afford, that is in that kind of condition, it can be worth it, but vehicles have changed quite a bit over the years, and what you can buy these days is a lot different from a first gen or even later gen Explorers. Part of the reason people keep their Explorers and that people keep working on them and fixing them up is that there aren't really a whole lot of better options for the money. Explorers can usually be had rather inexpensively, parts are generally not that hard to get with a few specific exceptions, and if you can deal with the gas mileage, they offer good cargo capacity and load carrying ability, plus the additional benefits of being very off-road capable, and a great vehicle in severe weather conditions.

So if you've decided an Explorer is what you want, it's not a bad idea to spend time and money on it getting to be what you want or need in a vehicle. If there's another vehicle you're more excited about or that seems better suited to your wants/needs, you should probably go with that, since it can be a really bad idea to spend your time and money on a vehicle you're discouraged about putting time and money into. Just keep in mind that most vehicles are built up over the long term, and by spending a few hours every so often, you can have your dream vehicle built up over a period of years. There may be times when you'll need to devote a whole weekend, or hours a day for a few days in a row to some projects in order to get them done quickly enough to get the vehicle back on the road, but other things can just be done as you get the time, money, and parts, or when circumstances allow or you find just what you were looking for.

Whatever vehicle you choose, just be honest with yourself about how you feel about it and whether you really want to spend the time and money on it. If you really like a vehicle for one reason or another, and generally like the idea of owning it and working on it towards a particular goal, then it's usually worth it in the end, even if the final product winds up being different than what you originally planned on, both because you wind up with something that (hopefully) fits your wants and needs perfectly, and because of everything you learned along the way.

I was going to pick certain phrases and lines out of this summation, but they all fit.

I have owned my first gen since 12-16-2010, it was at a car lot in Spring Lake, NC. I had a single cab 94 ranger, and while I liked the ranger it lacked space. I looked at the Explorer and noticed it was a 5 speed, and I hadn't seen a 4 door 5 speed before. I was told the truck was a DUI impound and the previous owner had received his third DUI and so I'm told in NC after that happens your vehicle is impounded and sold. A car dealer happened on mine.

After some negotiation, the deal was made and I brought home my explorer. Yes, my truck has it's own series of issues, complaints, belches, and farts. I just can't get rid of it. The old bat has been good to me.

My truck likes to be driven, and the most mechanical work that has been done is upper motor rebuild.

In 3 and a half years I've done work to:
upper motor (heads and gaskets)
clutch and slave cylinder
starter and solenoid switch
2 batteries
alternator
2 belts
tune up stuff
numerous used tires
gen 2 wheels

I guess I calculate around $1500 (not counting all the oil changes) I have spent on my truck. I have too much invested to sell it for what I want.

I am also the second owner, the first one put 194,690 miles on it before impound and now it is at almost 234,000 very shortly.

I plan on attacking my truck one step further, by going all in to a 4wd swap.
Now most folks would look at me funny and think why on earth do a swap when you could buy a 4wd already? Sentimental value. It is something I can work on and build, and my explorer has taken me lots of places.

When I got my explorer I only wanted it as something to daily drive while my F150 is down. After putting so much time and money into it I can't see selling it unless I got a very good offer. She has been fairly reliable considering that the engine was beat up by me and my buddy when he owned it in his ranger and the miles on the rest of the explorer.

I wouldn't say it has the most amount of sentimental value to me but it does have some. My F150 mostly has my sentimental value being that I learned to work on vehicles from it, it is my first car/truck, and it has been with me for 4 years with everything that has happened to me.

Will the explorer ever probably become more sentimental to me? Probably because originally my Harley wasn't going to be that sentimental and now it is one of them right up with my F150.
Trav

I am extremely attached to mine, 13 years and probably close to twenty grand into it. SO many camping and road trips in it. It was worth it.
I often wonder if I would sell it, and have a surprisingly low number in mind that I would accept, but no one ever asks and I could never put a for sale sign in her.

It's so cool to hear about the stories you guys have about your explorers! I bought my first one about a year ago, and I totalled it. It rained for the first time in about a month and a half and all the oil had risen up and made the roads super slippery! I ended up fish tailing and going into a building, which sucked cause I was on my way to get a suspension lift from a local auto place. Being 18 and all, I used to drive like a moron, but now that I had that accident, I quickly learned how fast things can change. Totally switched me around. (I wasn't driving like a moron when I got into the accident, just really slippery). So the reason I bought my 93 explorer, was that I was afraid. I didn't drive in the rain since even with my Mom's FWD car, nope. I figured the only way to conquer my fears was to buy another one and drive it in the rain. Not thinking that was a stupid decision at the time, I bought it, drove it in the rain and immediately fell back in love. Ever since then, I've been wanting to build one up!

So that's my story, the Ex was also my first car I ever bought!

my first new car

I ordered my 92 XLT right after I got my first full time job. He has taken us so many places safely.

Tonight though, the rear hatch won't open up and I'm faced with figuring out yet another Xplorer fix. Somedays I say sell it and move on. Though I can't seem to walk away.

Not a 1st gen, but my 2nd Gen is family. I'll never sell it and I'll keep fixing it so long as there's something left to fix.

Someone will have to pry the keys from my cold, dead hands...

I love my truck and unless its burned, crushed or I can't get parts for it, I'll happily keep wrenching, driving and enjoying my truck.

Knowing your vehicle inside and out makes "you" and your truck more "reliable"

It gives a sense of confidence, something goes pop and you just say "I'll have that up and running in just a minute"

In essence you and your machine become "friends", it's what car guys call "mechanical empathy"

Once you reach that point you can't turn back.

People call it "sentimental" I call it good resource management.

Knowing your vehicle inside and out makes "you" and your truck more "reliable"

It gives a sense of confidence, something goes pop and you just say "I'll have that up and running in just a minute"

In essence you and your machine become "friends", it's what car guys call "mechanical empathy"

Once you reach that point you can't turn back.

People call it "sentimental" I call it good resource management.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Once you know how something works, it's almost stupid to not fix it.

FR-425 just no way to say it any better . Summed it up perfect . hows the weather out there ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wondering if any of you guys have sentimental value towards your 1st gen. I'm starting to but everytime I look at it and think of the man hours and money I'm going to have to invest into it, I get discouraged. It's an awesome truck and all, but is it all worth it in the end?

Need some advice from people who have sunk easily thousands and thousands into their 1st gen. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I figured this would be a good starting point. :)

I'm also going to school to be a woodshop/metalshop/mechanics/drafting teacher. So it would be pretty cool to work on it with students and such.

I haven't had to spend much at all on mine, actually. It's been rock solid reliable. I do buy parts for it now and then to head off maintenance issues, and because I enjoy working on it. I learned how to work on cars from it, and it's still the easiest vehicle I've ever worked on.

I guess I'd say that I'm willing to spend thousands on it. If the trans goes, I'm ready to spend $2500 on a performance replacement. If the motor goes, I'll rebuild it myself or swap in a SOHC. If I wreck it, I'll replace the panels. If I destroy it, I'll rebody it.

The plan is to hang onto this truck until I'm old and gray. I've owned more vehicles than my age, and my Explorer is still my favorite to drive. I bought it for $1, and it has been with me through the best and worst days of my life. I've never known a person as reliable as this truck. I may be buried in it, I'll likely die in it.

Back