Serpentine belt

RaveOn

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
Hi Gang!

1991 4.0 liter with air conditioning. I want to bypass the a/c compressor. Will a belt for a non-a/c motor slip on without any mod's? or will I have to add a idler?

thanks in advance

You need to use a automotive serp belt. Measure the new length and get a belt of that size.

The auto parts store always asks you if you have A/C or not when you buy a new belt. They have a listing on the computer which belt will work, so you don't have to guess or experiment with different sizes. One way to know the size before hand is to wrap some string around the pulleys, then measure the size of the string. Keep in mind that this won't be exact since the tensioner moves a little bit to take the slack of the belt up. So, after wrapping it around, subtract a little for the movement of the tensioner.

I've been wondering the same question. My AC doesn't work and I'm due for a new serp. belt. What we want to know is has anyone used a belt from a Non-AC truck on and AC truck by simply not routing over the AC pully. From the looks of the diagram under the hood, it seems like it would work without any clearnace issues.

Back