Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey guys, I'm trying to get my damn shackle bolts out for a second time, and again I'm failing miserably.

I need someone to confirm this for me - the bolt for the bottom of the shackle which runs through the end of the leaf spring, that bolt is sitting in a rubber bushing inside the end of the spring, correct? I got the nut off of the end with no problems, but it seems like it's going to be a cold day in hell that I actually get the bolt pulled out of the end of the bushing/spring.

Any info/help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are correct- If you can lift the weight off the springs so that the wheels are not touching it will help a little. I suggest you use a punch and hammer to drive the bolt out of the shackle. Or with the weight off the springs, jack up the axle slightly tugging on the bolt at the same time- there should be a sweet spot where the bolt simply slips out.

Thanks for the quick reply MG. I'll be working on this through the evening and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hey guys, I'm trying to get my damn shackle bolts out for a second time, and again I'm failing miserably.

I need someone to confirm this for me - the bolt for the bottom of the shackle which runs through the end of the leaf spring, that bolt is sitting in a rubber bushing inside the end of the spring, correct? I got the nut off of the end with no problems, but it seems like it's going to be a cold day in hell that I actually get the bolt pulled out of the end of the bushing/spring.

Any info/help would be appreciated.

I fought with one of mine also. In the end it took one guy with an impact gun on one side and another guy beating the snaut out of it with a mini sledge from the other side. It will come out. Just keep working at it. Right when your about to give up and call it quits, it will come out like butta! Funny how it always seems to work that way.
Good luck!
JIGA

Called it quits. :thumbdwn: Until I can get my hands on an air gun or something, I'm not wasting anymore of my time. That sucker is NOT coming out by any conventional means. Thanks for the help again though, both of you.

Called it quits. :thumbdwn: Until I can get my hands on an air gun or something, I'm not wasting anymore of my time. That sucker is NOT coming out by any conventional means. Thanks for the help again though, both of you.

Don't be surprised even with an air gun if the bolt just spins and wont come out.
I had an impact gun, air chisel, air ratchet, torch and a ton of lube and it still was a pita. In my case the bolt was seized onto the bushing. Just keep lubing, torching, wrenching and beating it. It will come out. I feel your pain though. Its crazy how one bolt can turn a 30 minute (at the most) shackle swap into a couple of hour project.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
JIGA

the same thing happened to with one of my shackle bolts, I ended up pushing it back in a bit so that the thread side of the bolt was about 1/4" inside the spring eye bushing, got a metal saw, sawed the bolt head off right up against the spring eye bushing, pushed (sledgehammered) the bolt so that it was completely inside the bushing and that freed the shackle up.

However, unless you're real lucky, you'll need to press out the old bushing and bolt out, and install a new bolt and bushing. I took advantage of the fact I was installing the lift, to change those shackle and spring eye bolts and bushings cuz they were due, they were bent, had a funky, rusty altered diameter, I didn't want them to remain stuck once again or break off during use (and abuse ;) ).

But have your new bushing and bolts handy if you do this...

When you guys were beating the piss out of your bolts, did you have the truck and axel jacked up to try to get the pressure off the leaf spring? I tried for an hour playing around with that.

I had it on a lift and tried every angle, height possible, heck my u bolt were undone to find that spot where there was no weight on the springs, to no avail. I don'T know how your bolts, spring eye and shackle bushing sleeves look like, but mine were thoroughly trashed, whatever metal particles that rusted and weared off the center section of the bolts, had rusted onto the bushing sleeves, the result was that the bolt and sleeve were no longer cylindrical and could not slide out, kinda like this: })({ instead of how it should be |||| but horizontaly of course...

Thanks guys.

Id get a punch smaller than the bolt, and drive it right out- works every time for me. Ive had my rear suspension apart a couple of times, never had a problem using that method.

I don't think there's any way that's going to make any difference. I was slamming the hell out of it with a sledge and it didn't move not even a millimeter.

Id get a punch smaller than the bolt, and drive it right out- works every time for me. Ive had my rear suspension apart a couple of times, never had a problem using that method.

If he is in the shoes that I was in, Then He is not at the point where he needs a punch. I am guessing the bolt is sticking out enough where he can still hit it with a hammer. Its just seized in the bushing. Am I correct?

Jiga, you are correct, the bolt has seized in the bushing and will not budge.

MG, I had the nut on the end. Otherwise the bolt would be a trainwreck right now. ;)

I also soaked it in PB overnight, and also daily for about two weeks a month ago.

Trust me, If your in a state where they put salt on the roads in winter, that bolt ain't coming out (unless you try PB blaster for two, theat will do the trick) But remember that this might be a signal its time to change out those bushings and sleeves and bolts, I tell ya, once you get it or them out and take a good look at them, you won't want them back in there :D

BTW, bushings aren't that expensive and those bolt come out to about 1,50$ each with washers and stover nuts

Where'd you find the bushings? Couldn't find them on Motorcraft.com.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Energy suspension bushings, they sell them individually or as a complete kit at your local 4x4 or speed shop. BTW when I switched all the bushings out, it made a world of a difference on my old truck, it feels like new now. Or you might be able to get oem bushings from the stealership but I'd suggest get the whole kit from Energy.

Back