Shackle Upgrade (Warrior 153) Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shackle Upgrade (Warrior 153) Questions

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
My OEM shackles need to be replaced (Severely rusted). I wanted to use some heavy duty after market shackles like Warrior 153's, but I also want to keep my ride height as stock as possible.. If I get the Warriors can I leave the front end alone or will I have to use new coils or coil spacers to level things out? I imagine the increase (Warrior claims 0.5" to 1.25") is small and should NOT be dramatic. So I'm asking anyone who has installed Warriors to comment on their after installation height. Was the height claim correct and how many altered the front end (if so how)? If you didn't alter the front how did it handle?
Does anyone know if after market stock height replacement Shackles exist?
I have read though all the past post on the subject and would like to thank all the contributors..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It varies by truck, but in my opinion, it will not be very noticable. This is due to the fact that so many X's sag in the back anyways. When I did my shackles, it really just evened it out. I did nothing to the front of the truck until I also installed the add-a-leaf.

14229side.jpg
Stock '99 with Warrior shackles in the rear... can't tell any difference there eh?

My but was sagging like none other after just 3 years of life...

My vote is get em

Looks good, but did you adjust the Torsion bars in the Front?

I am goint to pick some up... I am looking to see if any local shops cary them, otherwise I will order from one of the on-line stores.

I also had a rear end sag. My truck is very lifted, but that shouldn't really matter for what you're trying to figure out. I would say I got about one inch plus. If you look in the before and after section, I posted some pics about a month ago that might help.

I installed WAR153's on the X about 2 weeks ago. My X had really bad rear end sag, and after installing the shackles, the rear end was only like 1" higher than the frontend. If I would've left the 30x9.50's on there, I wouldn't have bothered to adjust the torsion bars, but I wanted 31's, so I brought the frontend up to make it level with the rear so the 31's would fit better.

If your X is sagging in the rear, the shackles will bring it up and you won't have to adjust the frontend if you don't wanna

I want to thank everyone for the info and "real" world examples. I had ordered my shackles from
http://www.quadratec.com . The price was $49.95, shipping $16... I assume all vendors of this product don't stock it, rather they drop ship it back to Warrior (you can't tell when its going to arrive.). My order went in on 9/18 so I may just have a project for next weekend.

I did try to order from JcWhitney, but it was a pita. They don't have it as a "Standard" catalogue item. so the customer service person had to look up the info. She found it and said she needed to submit some obscure request form and they would contact me by phone later with a price and other info. Well that was a week ago and I heard nothing from them. I even e-mailed them again asking "whats up with my request" and attached the original info. That was on the 18th...so by the end of the day when I was still left in the dark I ordered it from Quadratec...The ordering was a simple on-line transaction with the only "Surprise" Being the shipping...Their shipping chart said orders up to $50 were $11, but mine ended up being $16...

Back