Shock, strut, coil over replace help... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shock, strut, coil over replace help...

rch10007

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited 4.6L
I bought some new Rancho's to replace my stock struts...

I have searched for days to find a decent "how to" or even pics or a write up on replacing the struts on a 2002 4X4.

Anyone know where there's some good literature to replace these things? I've called some places locally and people are telling me it's an all day job and it will require a 4 wheel alignment afterwards...

Any direction will help! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think someone said on here pretty recently that either chilton or haynes had a book out for our explorers. might be the best way to go, especially if you do other work on the truck. after any suspension work, most recommend an alignment.

I bought some new Rancho's to replace my stock struts...

I have searched for days to find a decent "how to" or even pics or a write up on replacing the struts on a 2002 4X4.

Anyone know where there's some good literature to replace these things? I've called some places locally and people are telling me it's an all day job and it will require a 4 wheel alignment afterwards...

Any direction will help! Thanks!

i changed my springs on my explorer and thats essentially the same thing...

(disclaimer: although there will be no injury, im not responsible for damage done, or any injuries that have the possibility of occuring)

so to start off, dismount ur wheel (of course)... then undo the bolt that connects your upper control arm to the lower control arm (rite next to the ball joint)... after u take that off, get a hammer and hit the control arms untill that screw breaks free because it will be pretty stiff on that control arm... once u get it opened, unscrew the three bolts ontop of the strut and the large screw that connects the bottom of the shock to the lower control arm... take the strut out and make sure u have spring compressors... put the spring compressors on the spring and make sure u loosen most of the tension in it to where it wont spring out and kill u... remove the large bolt on the top and the upper cover should come rite off and the spring should slide out... slowly undo the spring compressors and u should have a single shock absorber and a loose spring... take ur new shock and place the spring inside of it, with the spring compressed.... put the upper cover on and make sure to tighten the large bolt on the top very well... connect the shock to the lower control arm again and the 3 bolts on the top... connect your control arms back together, remount ur wheel, and go get that alignment! (the red arrows mark where the bolts are... 3 small on top... one large on top... one large on bottom)

2456765_96_full.jpg

bigapple,

Your instructions are great. I would add, you need GOOD quality spring compressors; some auto supply shops will rent these. You also need a torque wrench and a tie-rod end "pickle" fork (this last one is an alternative to just hammering on the link between the control arms).

rch10007
It's a good idea to have a helper, or just someone to provide assistance is something goes wrong.

Yes you will need a 4 wheel alignment. If you've never done "mcpherson strut" suspension before it could take you the better part of a day.

I called a local mechanic and he said he would put them on for $300. Then he said to take it around the corner and have an alignment done for around $69.

Does this sound fair? Is it that difficult?

It's only difficult if you don't have the right tools, then it could also be dangerous. It's about 4-5 hours work, so I would say the price is fair. I would verify the price of the alignment, with the other shop.

an impact would probably come in handy, also...really helpful on the spring compressors.

definitely make sure u have strong compressors... the one i used when i swapped my spring was mounted on a wall and had 4 HUGE screws... no way that thing was gunna break... the ones that u rent from autozone r pretty tough but then again it mite not be able to take compression that strong... good luck and have someone there just incase

Thanks! I think I will take the truck to a local mechanic, along with my camera. If they'll let me, I take some pics and create a little write up for others who may want a tutorial.

Back