Shop says my explorer is finished, is this true?! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shop says my explorer is finished, is this true?!

Post number 17 has been selected as best answered.

Clear code see how quickly it returns
Clean mas
Check for intake leak/ vacuum leak
Check bank 1 s 1 wiring to and from 02 sensor, possibly swap it with downstream sensor for testing
Monitor coolant levels for any loss

Before this shop you had a
Misfire Cylinder one which they determined was a clogged cat? They wanted to scrap the truck… Then you were running lean with lean codes, no longer crushing the truck…

And now after more work from them you are running rich, it is quite possible that they botched the injector/ intake install if they did not replace the injector seats and o rings this could be a problem dumping too much fuel

This shop is all over the place, did not fix the problem, gutted a cat (illegal) and gave it back To you running rich and charged you full price

Run away as said before they obviously do not know these engines

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What causes the P0172 code?​

• A dirty mass air flow sensor overstating the amount of air entering the engine which may cause excessive fuel delivery
  • A bad oxygen sensor
  • A leaking fuel injector allowing too much fuel to enter the combustion chamber
  • A faulty fuel regulator, which may not be regulating the pressure of the going to the engine as it should
  • A vacuum leak
  • A possible fault in the coolant system such as a stuck thermostat or bad coolant temperature sensor
  • Worn spark plugs
I going to trying cleaning the MAF.. o2 sensors, spark plugs, wires, coil, injectors, and thermostat are all new. All hoses are in pretty decent condition, I dont see or hear any vacuum leaks. The fuel regulator I guess could be a culprit too hmm.

I going to trying cleaning the MAF.. o2 sensors, spark plugs, wires, coil, injectors, and thermostat are all new. All hoses are in pretty decent condition, I dont see or hear any vacuum leaks. The fuel regulator I guess could be a culprit too hmm.
Must have great vision to see a vacuum leak.

Running rich is usually leaking injector
If they used sub par injectors or a sub par install would cause it to dump fuel

What causes the P0172 code?​

• A dirty mass air flow sensor overstating the amount of air entering the engine which may cause excessive fuel delivery
  • A bad oxygen sensor
  • A leaking fuel injector allowing too much fuel to enter the combustion chamber
  • A faulty fuel regulator, which may not be regulating the pressure of the going to the engine as it should
  • A vacuum leak
  • A possible fault in the coolant system such as a stuck thermostat or bad coolant temperature sensor
  • Worn spark plugs
I'm only getting 9-10 mpg as well, yea and that's no fun with gas 6.80 over here 😡

I'm only getting 9-10 mpg as well, yea and that's no fun with gas 6.80 over here 😡
You’re going to burn up the motor if you keep driving extremely rich. You’ll also ruin the remaining cats.

I havent drove it much at all just down the street a few times. I called the ford dealership and soonest they can get me in is 6/22.

You might want to look into a mobile mechanic - I haven't used one but they seem to be expanding in my area. I honestly don't have any reason to trust them any less than any brick and mortar place since I usually do my own stuff and don't have a 'trusted' place to go. Even if you just pay them for an hour to hear your story and look things over you might end up in a better place. If you aren't familiar with them then understand that they do more than just brakes and starters and alternators these days.
As an aside - I really like the idea that they exist as a DIY person because at some point I may end up 'in over my head' with a disabled vehicle stuck in my garage that I can't fix and can no longer take anywhere without a flatbed. It takes a little bit of the pressure off.

I am a Mobile mechanic for my friends and in one hour I can usually find and fix many little things especially if we are dealing with a ford truck ;)

I am a Mobile mechanic for my friends and in one hour I can usually find and fix many little things especially if we are dealing with a ford truck ;)
What is your service radius? Initial thought is so cal might be a little too far away.

Buddy with 89 f350 460 truck we just converted to 4wd starts driving it and it developed a miss.
Goes online, first thing they tell him is it’s his cat converter is clogged unbolt it for testing, followed by faulty map sensor and then tell him to clean his mas.
I’m like “dude call me first next time”. 89 does not have a mas.. the converter is fine, a map sensor issue would likely set a code. Took me 3 minutes to find plug wire not seated on cyl 2 …. Runs great now

Back