Shop says my explorer is finished, is this true?! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shop says my explorer is finished, is this true?!

Post number 17 has been selected as best answered.

Agree with the previous 4 posts that have brought this diagnosis back to center.

The mechanic is a "parts changer" and not a technician. Find another one. Low compression won't cause a lean code, but with the high mileage and cylinder specific misfire, I would have done a spot check for compression on that cylinder and one other to just to see if its lower. It could be a little low in compression and lean.

Smog techs are supposed look close at aftermarket parts. If its a CAT, they can use a mirror to check the CARB tag for compliance, however, they are NOT supposed to jack up the vehicle. Explorers have ground clearance so he/she can get on their back to check. Also, I have seen where the correct aftermarket CAT has the CARB tag ON TOP of the CAT or in a place not visible. If the smog tech follows protocol, you fail the visual and get sent to the CA BAR "referee" for another inspection. BTW, NOTHING is "grandfathered" in after 10 years. I'm in CA too and have never heard this. I would call the CA BAR to be sure (of course block your number and remain anonymous). 1976 and newer vehicles have to be equipped as original unless a part is replaced with a CARB approved part listed in a book and online for smog techs to refer to. Just to note: pre-76 vehicles are smog TESTING exempt but it is illegal to remove any emission control component regardless of the year. This means (technically) your hypothetical 73 Mustang with a crate engine and all smog parts gone is illegal and could be cited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2010 explorer XLT 4.0, it has about 140k miles on, always has ran very well. I am the 2nd owner and purchased it about 5 years ago with 70k miles. Never had a single issue with it, I kept the oil changed and treated her well. 2 weeks ago I got a check engine light, I pulled the code and it was a misfire cylinder 1, so I changed all the spark plugs cleared the code and drove for a while, it came back on, then I changed the wires cleared the code and drove it, light came back on, I changed the coil pack, cleared the codes and drove it, light came back on, this was still the misfire cylinder 1 code btw. My next idea was to change the fuel injector. So I attempted to do it, but I went to pull off the intake and realized it was going to be quite a job, so I took it to a local repair shop and told them the issue and what I had done. They diagnosed and said yes change all the fuel injectors not just one, so I said F it might as well since the intake will be off. They did that and now they are getting a engine running lean code (I forgot the exact code), they did more diagnosis and said that the misfire clogged my cat, so now my cat is causing the code. They call the dealership and the cat for this model is discontinued and there are zero aftermarket options available (I am in Cali).. so without a new cat I'm basically screwed, the check engine light will keep coming on and I wont be able to get this thing smogged. WTF?!
Why take to the dealership? Take to a good independent mechanic. Then if need be take out of state to get the cat problem ironed out. Dealerships are crooks.

does that stuff work? i always assumed it would just burnn off in the chamber before it does anythingt to the cat? or at least thats was my assumption...
Yeah I don't know, I mean it does have a lot of positive reviews. The main benefit seems to be that you can try it without pulling the cat off... vs other cleaning methods like a soak & flush with lacquer thinner.

Sometimes I have a hard time trusting the reviews. I wish I could find the picture, it is of an asian lady sitting at a desk with 100s of phones and her job was to write reviews for products. Companies pay for that.
Edit: I found the picture.

chinese-click-farm.jpg

Sometimes I have a hard time trusting the reviews. I wish I could find the picture, it is of an asian lady sitting at a desk with 100s of phones and her job was to write reviews for products. Companies pay for that.
Edit: I found the picture.

View attachment 429717
dang, thats alot of phones!!!!! :( wonder what the wording was like on those, i assume it would be more generic

I have a 2010 explorer XLT 4.0, it has about 140k miles on, always has ran very well. I am the 2nd owner and purchased it about 5 years ago with 70k miles. Never had a single issue with it, I kept the oil changed and treated her well. 2 weeks ago I got a check engine light, I pulled the code and it was a misfire cylinder 1, so I changed all the spark plugs cleared the code and drove for a while, it came back on, then I changed the wires cleared the code and drove it, light came back on, I changed the coil pack, cleared the codes and drove it, light came back on, this was still the misfire cylinder 1 code btw. My next idea was to change the fuel injector. So I attempted to do it, but I went to pull off the intake and realized it was going to be quite a job, so I took it to a local repair shop and told them the issue and what I had done. They diagnosed and said yes change all the fuel injectors not just one, so I said F it might as well since the intake will be off. They did that and now they are getting a engine running lean code (I forgot the exact code), they did more diagnosis and said that the misfire clogged my cat, so now my cat is causing the code. They call the dealership and the cat for this model is discontinued and there are zero aftermarket options available (I am in Cali).. so without a new cat I'm basically screwed, the check engine light will keep coming on and I wont be able to get this thing smogged. WTF?!
If you look on the 'net for Scotty Kilmer, the method he's been using for about 40 years is 1 gallon of lacquer thinner to about 8 or 9 gallons of gasoline. Run that thru until almost empty, clear your codes and see what you get. If it DOESN'T work, a tip he got from a cat company is simply remove the cat(s) soak them overnight in a bucket of sudsy water, remove and blow dry and reinstall. Crap blocks the honeycombs and reduces efficiency, thereby throwing codes. What-the-heck. It's cheaper than trying to find something made from "unobtainium" !!!

persomally, im not a huge kilmer fan, but i can see it working. however, laquer thinner probably doesnt play well with rubber lines though. also, lik eother cat cleaner, im assuming it just burns off in the combustion chamber before it even so as much as touches the cats. but all just my opinion

persomally, im not a huge kilmer fan, but i can see it working. however, laquer thinner probably doesnt play well with rubber lines though. also, lik eother cat cleaner, im assuming it just burns off in the combustion chamber before it even so as much as touches the cats. but all just my opinion
His content is entirely ruined by his lame clickbait titles and his over the top, never backed up nonsense. How many “goodbye” videos can you post? After you’re third gooodbye, you should be automatically banned.

Ditto. I watched one of his videos about a jeep wrangler the supposedly had bad fuel injectors, his solution was to not fix anything.

His content is entirely ruined by his lame clickbait titles and his over the top, never backed up nonsense. How many “goodbye” videos can you post? After you’re third gooodbye, you should be automatically banned.
🤣 yeah, his show used to be good, but the now scotty youtube.... aint too great no more! havent heard much brilliant stuff from him recently... my go to is fordtechmakuloco, or chrisfix usually (now i dont entirely always agree with chrisfix method once in a while, but it puts me in the right direction)

Heh, scotty... this is what is going to happen to all of us when we get old enough, just wave hands and use baited expressions... if only we had that audience to listen.

I was subscribed to his channel a few years ago, then just got annoyed and frankly, the content was more relevant to those younger who are just getting started in DIY automotive and even then, there are now a lot more youtube channels with better SNR.

He still cracks me up, but if looking for comedy, he doesn't register in that.

Still think the lean code is being caused by bad intake seal job
Has anyone ever had a clogged converter cause a lean code?

I could see the lean code causing the pcm to dump extra fuel creating the catalyst to work harder or get clogged, but not the other way around

Would be nice to know the actual code

The last thing I’d do is replace the cats now.

Heh, scotty... this is what is going to happen to all of us when we get old enough, just wave hands and use baited expressions... if only we had that audience to listen.

I was subscribed to his channel a few years ago, then just got annoyed and frankly, the content was more relevant to those younger who are just getting started in DIY automotive and even then, there are now a lot more youtube channels with better SNR.

He still cracks me up, but if looking for comedy, he doesn't register in that.
im young......... and i still get annoyed 🤣 i end up just laughing at the horses usually... and the cat pillow

🤣 yeah, his show used to be good, but the now scotty youtube.... aint too great no more! havent heard much brilliant stuff from him recently... my go to is fordtechmakuloco, or chrisfix usually (now i dont entirely always agree with chrisfix method once in a while, but it puts me in the right direction)

1a auto parts channel is pretty good too but they tend to gloss over the hard bits.

I don’t think it’s your cat converter causing lean code

I think the mechanic who did the repair of the fuel injectors sucks and is clueless how to repair these engines

Your misfire code was caused by a faulty injector. To access the injectors they had to remove intake manifold.

Lean both banks means an air leak in the intake plenum.
I bet they left a hose unplugged, broke a fitting, or botched the install of the intake o rings, very simple to fix and $15 in parts

Forget the cat converter, never has a lean condition lead to the replacement of a cat converter

Never!!!

You need a different shop or diy
Seriously these guys are idiots I would run away, totaling your truck over a botched intake install… I would love to sit down with these idiots

You are smart for coming here abs asking, we know these engines

You need to get the code
I agree. They probably cracked the PVC box when they did the injectors. I had the same problem with my 4.0 SOHC.

I was finally able to get my explorer back this morning. That shop replaced all my injectors, intake manifold and valve cover gaskets, gutted one of cats.. so we figured out the misfire which is good, now I'm still getting a P0172 (bank 1 has too much fuel or not enough air)..and the shops final diagnosis is that I have a cracked cylinder head FML again. I'm debating about taking it to the stealership to have a 2nd look, I've already spent 2 grand and frustrated. I know its completely possibly, but I'm highly doubting a cracked head. I can't speak for the previous owner but I know its never overheated in my possession, the engine barely even sees over 4k rpm.. and only has 139k miles. The engine seems to be running pretty smooth as of right now, per the symptoms of that code, the only thing I'm noticing is a intermitted rough idle..its very minimal, the rpm gauge probably budges a millimeter or 2. Any other ideads/advise would be appreciated.

I wouldn't trust a shop that tells you that a head is cracked without pulling it to inspect it. Intake or exhaust leak can set that code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What causes the P0172 code?​

• A dirty mass air flow sensor overstating the amount of air entering the engine which may cause excessive fuel delivery
  • A bad oxygen sensor
  • A leaking fuel injector allowing too much fuel to enter the combustion chamber
  • A faulty fuel regulator, which may not be regulating the pressure of the going to the engine as it should
  • A vacuum leak
  • A possible fault in the coolant system such as a stuck thermostat or bad coolant temperature sensor
  • Worn spark plugs

Back