Single Din Factory Radio Bezel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Single Din Factory Radio Bezel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never seen that particular bezel before, and almost wonder if it's something custom made. Afaik, all of the Ford factory bezels for the Explorer / Ranger were the standard 1.5din, varying only in the presence or absence of the front fog, rear def. & wipe and 4x4 buttons & switches.

I could be wrong, though! When you get it, post pics of the back side.

Is there one of these for an American Explorer? I have a 98 sport and my Bezel is a bit... screwy, and I've been itching to shove a Single-din bluetooth capable player in there for months now, and this would solve both problems!

Is there one of these for an American Explorer? I have a 98 sport and my Bezel is a bit... screwy, and I've been itching to shove a Single-din bluetooth capable player in there for months now, and this would solve both problems!
We would need a picture of the back of it to be sure, but, there is no reason I can think of that that would not fit a North American market explorer, if you were to fit a single DIN radio. I can't imagine ford changed the mounting hole alignment on it's export models, and as Wolfgang G pointed out, these were fitted to German export models, and Germany drives on the same side as we do, so.... I would guess the fitment would be identical.

We would need a picture of the back of it to be sure, but, there is no reason I can think of that that would not fit a North American market explorer, if you were to fit a single DIN radio. I can't imagine ford changed the mounting hole alignment on it's export models, and as Wolfgang G pointed out, these were fitted to German export models, and Germany drives on the same side as we do, so.... I would guess the fitment would be identical.

That sounds awesome, but where do I get it? I hunted through Ebay and Amazon last night, but came up with nothing...

As soon I receive it, I will post a picture of the back.

ebay.co.uk

I... yes, I assume it came from a site like ebay, but despite all of my searches on both the US and UK ebay sites I can't come up with anything, you don't have a more specific link?

these were on 96 and early 97 explorers in the uk. The rear tailgate has an offset numberplate also so if you search ebay uk for breaking vehicles then this will give you the heads up

these were on 96 and early 97 explorers in the uk. The rear tailgate has an offset numberplate also so if you search ebay uk for breaking vehicles then this will give you the heads up
Ok, thank you, do you think I could use it on my 98 sport to hook up a single din radio?

Yes you should be able to. It is certainly possible to use on the later UK model as at least one of the guys did it a few years ago. If you search the UK threads using term "single din" and author Christ you might even find his thread

[on 96 and early 97 uk Explorers] ...The rear tailgate has an offset numberplate also...

Indeed. Interesting Ford went to the expense of designing a different tailgate, although not that different save for bolting on that shroud and re-routing the numberplate illumination wire, for the export models:
uNWjCso.jpg

Ford switched to a global design for the rear hatch for the facelifted 2nd gens:
sUa7OsV.jpg

Crutchfield usually includes everything necessary to install a Single Din radio. I currently have a Kenwood media player (no CD Player). Crutchfield I'm happy with. This Kenwood has cured me of owning Kenwood again in the near future.

Yeah, I know about Single DIN adapters and if I ever get a new radio I'll likely be using one, I just thought that radio bezel with 1 din and the "Explorer" written on it looked cool! The one issue I have is, I got the CD/Tape/Radio system, and there's two problems with it - One, krutchfield seems to know of 2 or 3 different explorer systems, dealing with amplifiers in the back or front, and I have yet to figure out which one I need... and also, I have the fancy radio control thing for the back seat, and I dunno if I want to render it useless with a new Headunit just yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Azcort,

I don't immediately see any reason why that wouldn't fit in a US market Exploder. That said, I'm guessing we may not have the connector for that middle component (i'm guessing a clock?).

Back