• Register Today It's free!

Skin on lift gate 98 explorer

Fordman50

Reaction score
City, State
Walla Walla, WA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I need to get the door ajar light to go off cuz it's killing my battery. I have determined that iys the lift gate switches that are the problem. I just need to know how to take the skin off without ruining it to get st the switches.

Skin? Do you mean interior panel? There are many posts on this forum, and I believe YouTube that address removal of the interior panel.

Basically, to remove the interior panel, there is one phillips head screw accessed through the lock pull, and two more Phillips screws that you remove through the interior pull strap. Then pop off about five Christmas tree type fasteners that run across the top of the panel above the inside of the hatch glass. Finally, carefully push in the UP direction on the panel to release the final clips.

Prop up the hatch to a position that makes it easy to access. Remove three bolts that hold the cargo latch (note: not hatch) on the exterior of either side of the hatch. With the latch for either (or both sides) released slightly, you can see the door ajar switches. And you can see how to reach inside the cargo hatch to remove these switches. As I recall, each switch is held in place by a Phillips head screw.

The cargo hatch glass also has a door ajar sensor, located right near the latch for the glass. If this is your problem, your rear wiper motor will not operate.

if you disconnect these door ajar sensors, the annoying light problem be resolved, but of course the door ajar system will not operate.

You might be able to oil and service the switches. With the switches in your hand, they are simple and easy to test with an ohm meter.

Good luck with this project.

And welcome to this Forum.

Back