smart key won't lock or unlock door ford | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

smart key won't lock or unlock door ford

opam

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 ford explorer LTD
Hello,I was doing some research in the forum beofre posting this thread, I found potential cause of my problem...but I can not find answer on how to fix the problem.
I own a 11 explorer Ltd. I have two set of smart keys and I can not open/ close the door grabbing the door handle or open the liftgate with any of the two keys. I even tried with the key in my hand without success. In order to open or close the door I have to press lock /unlock in the keyfob. Sometimes smart keys WORKS GREAT as use to be, but must of the time it wont work. I thought It could be something which interfere with the sensor signal but sometimes smart keys works great and other no with vehicle parked in the same place.

Thank you in advance for your support

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,I was doing some research in the forum beofre posting this thread, I found potential cause of my problem...but I can not find answer on how to fix the problem.
I own a 11 explorer Ltd. I have two set of smart keys and I can not open/ close the door grabbing the door handle or open the liftgate with any of the two keys. I even tried with the key in my hand without success. In order to open or close the door I have to press lock /unlock in the keyfob. Sometimes smart keys WORKS GREAT as use to be, but must of the time it wont work. I thought It could be something which interfere with the sensor signal but sometimes smart keys works great and other no with vehicle parked in the same place.

Thank you in advance for your support

Does it start the car fine?

When did you last change the batteries in the remotes? I had something similar happen when I couldn't get the driver's door to unlock by grabbing the handle. A few times it did but mostly did not. Funny thing is that there was no issue with the passenger's door. I then decided to use the 2nd remote which isn't used much and the problem cleared up. I then changed the battery in the remote I always use and haven't had a problem again. That was a month ago.

Peter

When did you last change the batteries in the remotes? I had something similar happen when I couldn't get the driver's door to unlock by grabbing the handle. A few times it did but mostly did not. Funny thing is that there was no issue with the passenger's door. I then decided to use the 2nd remote which isn't used much and the problem cleared up. I then changed the battery in the remote I always use and haven't had a problem again. That was a month ago.

Peter

Thats what I'm going with.

Signal is probably too low to penetrate body of car but good enough inside to pick it up to start it (I'm assuming it starts fine because of no mention from the OP).

smart key wont lock / unlock doors

Thank you all for your help !!
the vehicle star / stop flowless, the anly problem that I have is with the doors (driver and passenger) and with the tailgate that will not open unless I press the specific button on the key fob.
I have never changed the batteries of the smart keys, since vehicle star/stop fine and open/ close door pressing the button I though that batteries was not the issue, I will try replacing batteries at least with one of my two smart keys

thank you !!

Thank you all for your help !!
the vehicle star / stop flowless, the anly problem that I have is with the doors (driver and passenger) and with the tailgate that will not open unless I press the specific button on the key fob.
I have never changed the batteries of the smart keys, since vehicle star/stop fine and open/ close door pressing the button I though that batteries was not the issue, I will try replacing batteries at least with one of my two smart keys

thank you !!
That's the least expensive way to go. Note, do not wipe off the grease you find inside the remote. It is there for a reason. Good luck.

Peter

Hello I just want to thank you all for your help.
I changed batteries on both smart keys and PROBLEM SOLVED !!
thanks !!

Back