• Register Today It's free!

sohc v6 wouldn't idle for 2 days

91CheapExp

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisonburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT Explorer
we've been running our 98 xlt 4wd sohc 4-door automatic for a month. always the same gas. yesterday when I got gas, I added 12oz STP Fuel System Cleaner. Drove home fine. Jacked up the car, changed oil to Amsoil w/Mobil 1 filter, put Hidden Hitch 70647 on the back. When I started it up to get off the ramps, it wouldn't idle. By keeping my foot on the pedal, I could get it down to 600-800 rpm, but when I took my foot off the gas it died immediately. Messed around with it for awhile, then went to bed. Today Sunday morning behavior was the same. Drove 4 miles to church with my left foot on the brake and right on the gas (I hate that). If I let off the gas, the car would die, no matter how fast I was going. Many panic re-starts in neutral while hard-steering through an intersection. After church, no more problems. This afternoon another drive and no more problems.

What happened? I've noticed posts describing how the computer has to 'relearn' after changing fuel or disconnecting the battery. Did the fuel additive change something to the extent that the computer was confused? What do you think? Related question - what are recommendations for fuel injector cleaning?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe just a freak incident... normally the maf or the fpr or the iac or tps is what cuases conditions like that

i had the samething happen on my work van...2000 e-350...took it to the shop and they said the fuel system was dirty...not an explorer but just putting my 2 cents in:rolleyes: :D

maybe the fuel treatment he put in loosened up some carbon and that clogged up some stuff... it normally doesnt happen, but it could nonetheless

maybe you should change the fuel filter to be safe

Back