Some smoke coming out of tailpipe - 2011 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some smoke coming out of tailpipe - 2011 Explorer Limited

Michael Pigman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hey everyone, I have a Naturally Aspirated 3.5 explorer that has started to smoke out the tailpipe a little, especially on start up. It has 105k miles on it. I have been driving it a lot more over the last year than before due to totaling out my sedan. About 57k of it's miles have been since October of 2016.

I first started noticing the smoking today when heading to work. Over the past few weeks, i have taken it on a hilly road trip that was around 2k miles. I did have it on cruise control and it would run 4k rpms for several miles up steep hills and then the same engine breaking down the other side. Then, I didn't drive it for two or three days, other than to backing out of the garage yesterday. I also tow a 4600 lb boat with it all summer long so, it works hard.

I don't notice any coolant loss or anything. I know it's kind of abused, but I wouldn't expect the engine to start burning oil just yet, but what do i know?

I see this as common on 3.5 turbos, but not so much on NA. Any thoughts on what has gone wrong or am I just being paranoid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
What colour is the smoke? White, blue, black? Does it only happen on start up or when driving? I'm guessing you checked the oil level in addition to the coolant?

Peter

It is white in color. Yes, the oil is about a qt low, but it's due for an oil change in the next 300 miles so, I didn't add any to it. Mainly on start up and then the first minute or two it is running.

have you seen other vehicles smoke also, or just yours?

My 2012 explorer has had light blue smoke from tail pipes from day one, but I only noticed it at 12k. If I start the truck pull it out of the garage and park it, it will give a puff of blue smoke every time on start up. My Crossfire with 15K does the exact same thing. If I drive the Explorer any distance, then no smoke on start up. I questioned the Dealer and was given the run-a-round. My assumption is a quick start and stop with no engine heat up allows the oil to pass valve stem seals and it burns on start up. I run Mobil 1 5W-20 but I don't think oil type matters, pretty sure lighter weight oils get by the stem seals on cold engines.

shouldn't have any blue smoke, somethings wrong. If you aren't losing too much oil in between changes I wouldn't worry about it if its out of warranty

What does your tail pipe look like? Does it have a black soot or a black oily feel and color? Has it been humid where you live? Mine will smoke when I get it hot (driving alot) and parking it. The exhaust will cool off and water will build up inside it and the pipe. When you start it the water blows out the pipe as a whitish smoke.

Do the oil change and keep track of it over the course of miles and time. Some engines will use a little more oil over time then others but a QT in 5000 or so miles is not that bad. I had one that would burn a pint in 3000 miles.

Clean your throttle body and MAF. This will help the engine breath, but I bet you find a a lot of oil went though it. Take your time and use a good TB cleaner and a tooth brush.

Check and clean you PVC tubes.

The 3.5 NA is a good engine.

In the old engines the valve seals would dry out and cause a start up smoke cause by oil in the cylinders. These newer modeler engines are not as prone to that. To test this it the gas under a hard load and see if any smoke comes out the pipe after it is warmed up.

Just a few passing thoughts

My 2012 explorer has had light blue smoke from tail pipes from day one, but I only noticed it at 12k. If I start the truck pull it out of the garage and park it, it will give a puff of blue smoke every time on start up. My Crossfire with 15K does the exact same thing. If I drive the Explorer any distance, then no smoke on start up. I questioned the Dealer and was given the run-a-round. My assumption is a quick start and stop with no engine heat up allows the oil to pass valve stem seals and it burns on start up. I run Mobil 1 5W-20 but I don't think oil type matters, pretty sure lighter weight oils get by the stem seals on cold engines.
I do plenty of short trips around the village, some less than 5 minutes and have never noticed any blue smoke. Just curious, if you didn't notice the issue until you reached 12k miles, how do you know it had been doing it since day 1. :dunno:;)

Peter

A motor should NOT put out blue smoke no matter how you drive it, or what trips you make. If enough unburned oil is making it out of the tailpipe I would expect a short life from your catalytic converters.

A motor should NOT put out blue smoke no matter how you drive it, or what trips you make. If enough unburned oil is making it out of the tailpipe I would expect a short life from your catalytic converters.

Wait a minute my old Chevy C10 with the 350 engine smoked all the time a blue smoke on start up and when I nailed it it would put out a cloud of smoke for miles. I used it to get rid of mosquitoes. The valve seals where toast and the rings where not much better, but it was normal for that engine(-;

I agree modern engines should not have any blue colored smoke out the exhaust. I would suspect the person seeing the smoke has never seen oil burning smoke out the exhaust and depending on lighting the water vapor white smoke can look a little blueish.

I would check the tail pipe tip and see if it is soot or oil or clean.

I do plenty of short trips around the village, some less than 5 minutes and have never noticed any blue smoke. Just curious, if you didn't notice the issue until you reached 12k miles, how do you know it had been doing it since day 1. :dunno:;)

Peter
I'm not talking about short trips around town, I'm taking about a start, pull out of garage and shut it down, nothing gets warmed up and let it set for several hours. The first time I noticed it was at 12K (36months) and I was behind the Explorer and my wife pulled it into the garage after it had set for several hours. When I'm inside the Exp. the window tint prevented me from seeing it. I'm not talking about a billowing cloud, its a puff of white/blue smoke (oil) when started every-time under these conditions (NE Ohio). I'm assuming it was happening from day one, but just was never in a position to witness it. My Crossfire does the exact same thing under the same conditions. I run 0w40 Mobil 1 in the 2006 Crossfire (15K today 2018), and firmly believe its tied directly to llight weight oils getting by Valve Stem seals under cold start/stop conditions. My first experience with valve stem seal leakage was a late 70's Chrysler Horizon with a Volkswagen engine. They knew they had an issue with valve stem seal compounds and came up with an improve seal design/compound. Interesting that both the Explorer and Crossfire use very little oil and never need topping between oils changes 7.5K on Explorer and 5K on the Crossfire. For me its all in the compounding of valve stem seals, but what do I know having worked for Goodyear Tire for 30+ years.

My 2020 Platinum with 14,500 miles occasionally puts out a huge cloud of blue smoke immediately after starting. It seems to happen after the Explorer has been sitting for several days.
This problem started about six months ago and I have reported it to my selling dealer. What thoughts, advice or comments do Forum members have?

You’re burning oil from somewhere.

I agree with Mbrooks420. Blue exhaust is a sign of burning oil.

Peter

I agree, too. I wonder what's causing it and more importantly can I get the dealer to repair the problem under warranty. They will try to reproduce the issue that appears to be intermittent.

I’d try and get it on video, and make sure it’s documented somewhere with a date and mileage.

My first worry would be a turbo.

I agree, too. I wonder what's causing it and more importantly can I get the dealer to repair the problem under warranty. They will try to reproduce the issue that appears to be intermittent.
It could be oil getting past valve stems or an oil leak in the turbo. These are usually associated with blue smoke after the vehicle sits for awhile.

If it only happens after the vehicle has been sitting for a while, you may have to leave it with the dealership so that they can experience it first hand.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back