Some ways to beef up HP | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some ways to beef up HP

Best thing i got to help performance was a new mafs (something like 90mm in, 80mm out (dont let the in and out diameters confuse you, i have no clue how they measure the aftermarket ones) factory ford thing) found it on a shelf in my good friends garage.. lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I just have to throw a few pennies into this conversation as they are needed.

First Plugs and wires.....Aldive summed it all up ....I will add that the Motorcraft Plats that came in our engines are my recommended plug....new ones of course. Wires? Doesn't really matter that much just so their decent quality. Afterall this isn't a race car with a hypo ignition system.

-Intake/air filter...
You have a few options for an open air intake. I really won't say one is better than the other just pick what you like. The main purpose is to smooth out the flow of air in the intake tube and make the filter able to pull more air. KKM is a cheap adapter for adding the conical filter. The K&N or MAC type units replace the whole tube as well as adding the open air filter.....
...Realistic gains....Throttle response is improved and maybe a couple ponies...Sure sounds mean though :D

-Throttle Body..
BBK is currently the only manufacturer that I am aware of making a tb for the OHV. It was designed for use in their out of production instacharger kit. It is a 66 mm unit which in reality is a bit big for stock internals and heads, but works and is available... Take a dremel to that plastic upper intake and port match it to the TB as well :thumbsup:
...Realistic gains. Maybe a poney or too and a bit more throttle response. It also seemed to move my powerband up a bit higher, though I could be tripping.

--Mass Air.....
Don't bother. The Pro-M is not woth it in my opinion. Granatelli makes another for the OHV, but realistically you are better off keeping the stock unit. The Stock MAF is a 70 mm unit which is more than adequate for our engines even with a good bit of tuning. In addition the electronics are easier to deal with from a tuning perspective. C&L is a potential option but none of the OHV crowd have gave it a whirl to my knowledge.

---Pulleys
To my knowledge there is not a set made for the OHV 4.0

-As to the upper and lower intake your kinda stuck unless you would like to look into swapping for the early model OHV aluminum intake and porting it considerably.

-Heads are still floating around out there. There is no per say aftermarket heads, but there is a guy over on ranger powersports that used to build a stage 3 head......Occasionally they will show up used..or you can have yours spend a bit of time at a machine shop..

--Anything exhaust/header wise will be custom....Though JBA used to make headers I am not sure if they are still in production

--Lastly is the tuning. BamaChips is the way to go....

Now you can get inside that motor for more, but you had better have deep pockets. The above is a good start for supporting a bottom end build though and will cost you a fair chunk so you can budget for the bigger stuff.

If ya really want to have some fun start hunting for the long lost BBK Instacharger for the 4.0 OHV. They are around but rare.

dreamr....hello again neighbor.....

I have the BBK Throttle Body, and I have noticed a little better throttle response, a little better power, and a little better mileage....mileage was the best benefit, boosted my mileage a solid 1.5-2.2 mpg (coupled with the open element air filter)

As for the Pulleys, YES. There are some UnderDrive Crank & Waterpump Pulleys, as well as some Under OR Overdrive Alternator Pulleys now available for the OHV & SOHC Ford V-6's (Ford was so smart for making them all the same)

With both of my X's, we modded the Exhaust FIRST.....then went onto other parts, like the TB, air filter, intake tube....Plugs & Wires @ 100k...and called it good....with all of that we have reached 21mpg in the Green X (Auto, 4x4), and 23 in the White X (Manual, 2wd)...both have the same 3.73 rear gears.

Ryan

Brandons said:
Best thing i got to help performance was a new mafs (something like 90mm in, 80mm out (dont let the in and out diameters confuse you, i have no clue how they measure the aftermarket ones) factory ford thing) found it on a shelf in my good friends garage.. lol

That size is too big.

aldive said:
Actually ASP ( Dead Link Removed ) makes the vibration damper/underdrive crank pulley for the OHV as well as the SOHC motor ( same one). I have it on my SOHC ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151951&highlight=underdrive ) and highly recommend it.

Good luck ....

Cool I did not know that that pully set would fit either engine. Not something for my truck though, for I do not like them on my stang. In the truck I need to be able to charge a pair of batteries rather than barely mainitaing one :p
Damn I hate dimming lights and dropping voltage meters. And yes my alternator is overdriven while crank and water pump were underdriven.

Hey Spdrcer where you been hiding?

aldive said:
That size is too big.

uh oh... what would be a good size? dreamr said the stock one is just fine, but is that the same for almost all ohvs? I can always switch back to stock, since i got this one for free its no big deal..

Brandons said:
uh oh... what would be a good size? dreamr said the stock one is just fine, but is that the same for almost all ohvs? I can always switch back to stock, since i got this one for free its no big deal..

The 91-96 OHV ran a 58mm or 62 mm? I forget which MAF size is right...

When ford upgraded to the OBDII engine management system they also upgraded the MAF to a 70mm unit. If you are pre 98 I suggest going with a granatelli 70 mm unit or Pro-M, but many tuners do not like Pro-M.

Aldive....
You used the C&L meter on the SOHC. Is there any chance of it being adapted to an OHV? I mean all of the mounts are aftermarket if you go with an aftermarket intake tube and filter. I am mainly wondering if it would cause any problems for the early OHV guys. Possibly this question should be addressed to Doug904, but you are kinda his middleman so.......

Back