• Register Today It's free!

Some ways to beef up HP

JayDub

Reaction score
City, State
SOUTHSIDE HOU-TEX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 4 Door
What are some good ways to beef up the HP? I dont want too much since I dont drive fast, I just wanna be able to hit the throttle if i need to. I already want a K&N airfilter and a flowmaster dual exhast, along with the kits from Explorer Express for the V6. What are some other good mods in the $300 or lower range?

Edit - Sorry..I have a 99 V6. It says EFI so Im not sure which type of engine it is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hear a chip is a good way to get more kick. I think it'll run around $200.

Explorer#2 said:
www.bamachips.com is the way to go. I have spark plugs and spark plug wires should give 8 hp, plus if you have more air coming into the engine you need to get a better spark to burn the
air/fuel.

8 hp from plugs and wires? Put me down as skeptical. Not disagreeing, but that seems like a lot of gain...

Paraphoe said:
8 hp from plugs and wires? Put me down as skeptical. Not disagreeing, but that seems like a lot of gain...

Agreed. I remember going down this road a year or so ago and plugs/wires don't really increase performance at all. Bad plugs and wires can reduce peformance of course.

The wires give about 5 hp and the spark plugs say they give 3 I am kind of skeptical about the spark plugs, but I also have an intake and exhaust and if you know anything about sigma notation in math the parts added are greater than the parts. But the real reason I did it was to help burn the air/fuel.

They don't.

If all the bolt on horsepower gains were true, you could bolt on 200 hp, without a nitrous kit.
I'm calling BS on the plug and wire claim.

they give a better spark and that is all i care about, the better the spark the better the burn and the better the engine runs, so instesd of 35% efficency i am running like 38% efficency HAHAHA

who cares how efficent your damn explorer is its still crap oh secondly it says "elite explorer" on you info and ugh for some reason i doubt that given what you said about you 8 hp bs gain you got from adding you damn plugs and wires that probably cost like no more than $20 all together that it makes you elite (plus you paid the same amount for your plugs and wires as you did for this site). if you can get 8 hp by adding plugs and wires then wouldnt every one be doing this. dude look at your explorer its a pice of junk any way and if you wanna hate back hate on mine http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1757124

That was a tad harsh. :rolleyes:

Explorer#2 said:
I have spark plugs and spark plug wires should give 8 hp, plus if you have more air coming into the engine you need to get a better spark to burn the air/fuel.

What kind of plugs and wires?

Explorer#2 said:
The wires give about 5 hp and the spark plugs say they give 3 I am kind of skeptical about the spark plugs, but I also have an intake and exhaust and if you know anything about sigma notation in math the parts added are greater than the parts. But the real reason I did it was to help burn the air/fuel.

Uh, if you know anything about marketing you'd realize why "the spark plugs say they give 3". :D

J/k but realize that all those marketing claims should be taken with a grain of salt. I say you will realize a 90% reduction in said claim at any given time.

rbaker_13 said:
who cares how efficent your damn explorer is its still crap oh secondly it says "elite explorer" on you info and ugh for some reason i doubt that given what you said about you 8 hp bs gain you got from adding you damn plugs and wires that probably cost like no more than $20 all together that it makes you elite (plus you paid the same amount for your plugs and wires as you did for this site). if you can get 8 hp by adding plugs and wires then wouldnt every one be doing this. dude look at your explorer its a pice of junk any way and if you wanna hate back hate on mine http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1757124

Chill out or go find somewhere else to be rude; its not appreciated or welcomed here.

By the way, EFI means my engine is OHV right?
Explorer#2, what brand did you use? Or would any performance brand do the trick?
Also, on ExplorerExpress, If I buy the MAC Air Intake, should I still buy the K&N Air Filter as well?

EFI= electronic fuel injection
OHV= over head valve
Good plugs and wires are always a good idea. They won't give more hp, but will maintain good hp
The intake should include the filter

EFI means electronic fuel injection. meaning, it could be the v6 4.0 ohv, v6 4.0 sohc(better), or the v8 5.0(only a little better than the 4.0 sohc, but has a plethera of after market mods unlike the v6's)

I'm not sure about this, but i think they stopped putting the ohv out in 97, or 99. So you might have a ohv, but the sohc was more common in later years.

When i got my truck, my dad and i did a tune up and we used some plug wires from autozone, and we should have spent the extra 10 bucks for motorcraft or performance brand (but hey, pops was paying) and the wires we got are fine, but they dont have the snap on connector like the stock plugs, and i had a wire come off the distributor twice, but its been fine for the past year and a half+. so when you are getting new wires, get the ones that clip on the distributor.

If the engine says EFI on it, than it is the OHV. If it says SOHC, than it is the SOHC.

rbaker_13 - What the hell is your problem? Chill out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the correction.

side note to rbaker_13: I looked at both of your guy's cardomains, and i didnt see much difference, besides he has different tires and westin safari bar, and you have some fugly altezzas(uglier than mine anyway), a billet grill, ugly rainbow gauge cluster, retarded neons, and some "diamond corners" that i'm not a fan of. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. go ahead and bash my rig, cuz in my eyes its a whole lot better than yours. so dont go callin people's rides, "junk". everyones explorer started somewhere. Not everyone can afford to go out and spend thousands of dollars to make their ride "perfect".

and "elite explorer" doesnt mean he is a car genius, it means he paid to support this great website, and he gains the ability to post photos in the gallery, expanded PM box and other things.

So just chill out man. people make mistakes.

Back