Speed Control Lights in Steering Wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speed Control Lights in Steering Wheel

MrTeeThyme

Reaction score
City, State
Wake Forest, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 ST Ltd
The lights on the right side speed control controls in my steering wheel went out. However, the lights on the left side are ok. Are they managed by a fuse? I haven't been able to find out anything.

If it's the bulb(s), which is what I'm guessing at this point, is it difficult to remove the airbag to get to it?

Thanks.

John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lights on my left side dont come on when i turn my lights on, however if i tap it, they come on.:D Idk if you have tried this, it may be your bulb/fuse

There are tiny incandescent bulbs in the steering wheel buttons.

I believe you need to remove the airbag to take them apart though. Disconnect battery, wait about 10 mins so you are real sure the backup power supply has drained, unbolt the airbag (two bolts hidden under circular plastic covers on the back of the steering wheel), disconnect the wiring connector, and remove the airbag assembly.

Just be sure to keep your face clear when you are doing this as a safety precaution, although it is highly unlikely anything would happen.

From that point, you have easy access to all the buttons. Some have soldered LED's in place to reduce future maintenance.

Thanks. I won't get to this today, but I'll write back on the experience when it's done.

When you do do this, solder in some LED's. I did, but i was also changing the whole lighting scheme of my car. 2 LED's for full backlight and 2 resistors, about 5 minutes on eace side.

Back