Sport or Platinum!!!!

HARDROCKTIMES

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Sport or Platinum...
I have the 2016 Sport ... And I want to know is the platinum worth the extra money... Same engine almost all the same features...
I would go for those massaging seats tho...lol
What's ur opinion ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The options of a Platinum are def. better. Auto Parking, lane assist, auto hi beams, etc. My main reasoning for a Sport...I love the subdued (darker) look. I can't stand shiny stuff on a vehicle.

I have a new platinum F150.
Skip the massaging seats, they are worthless.
I only turn them on to see the look on the face of unsuspecting passengers.

The options of a Platinum are def. better. Auto Parking, lane assist, auto hi beams, etc. My main reasoning for a Sport...I love the subdued (darker) look. I can't stand shiny stuff on a vehicle.

Can you custom order the sport with the options of the platinum?

X2. Besides I'd be looking at the Platinum if I was over 70 years old... JK!. Here in Canada the Platinum is $10G's more :eek:

Can you custom order the sport with the options of the platinum?

Only options I saw at the time of my order, was adaptive cruise control, dvd headrests, dual panel moon roof and led fogs.
Might as well buy the platinum as those individual options add up over $3000.

It's a tough call between the 2. When I build them out exactly how I want them, it is $2,100 more for the Platinum. With that I gain power folding 2 row (N/A on Sport), heated 2nd row (N/A on Sport), more plush seats/better leather with massage, 500 watt upgrade audio system, enhanced park assists and auto hi beams. Although $2,100 is a lot, I think you get a lot for the money.

When I compared the F350 Lariat with the Platinum I bought, it was $1,600 more and all I gained besides the visual differences was the heated steering wheel and the softer more plush seats. You get a lot more in the Explorer for $500.

However, what you lose is the performance of the Sport. You lose the tighter/stiffer suspension as well as the programming differences in the transmission and steering. Now granted if money wasn't an object, you could tune your Platinum to be like the Sport and change the suspension out to the Sports and have a Sport version of the Platinum.

It's a tough call between the 2. When I build them out exactly how I want them, it is $2,100 more for the Platinum. With that I gain power folding 2 row (N/A on Sport), heated 2nd row (N/A on Sport), more plush seats/better leather with massage, 500 watt upgrade audio system, enhanced park assists and auto hi beams. Although $2,100 is a lot, I think you get a lot for the money.

When I compared the F350 Lariat with the Platinum I bought, it was $1,600 more and all I gained besides the visual differences was the heated steering wheel and the softer more plush seats. You get a lot more in the Explorer for $500.

However, what you lose is the performance of the Sport. You lose the tighter/stiffer suspension as well as the programming differences in the transmission and steering. Now granted if money wasn't an object, you could tune your Platinum to be like the Sport and change the suspension out to the Sports and have a Sport version of the Platinum.

Power folding 2nd row seats are now standard on the 2016 Sport.

Power folding 2nd row seats are now standard on the 2016 Sport.

Wait, not powered on my sport, there's a lever on the side. I'd better check again.

Wait, not powered on my sport, there's a lever on the side. I'd better check again.

I have the dual 2nd row captain chairs and each seat are auto folding.
May not be available for the standard bench seats?
IIRC, on the standard bench seats, only one side can fold (behind front passenger)?

IIRC, on the standard bench seats, only one side can fold (behind front passenger)?

I do have the bench and he entire seat folds down but with manual effort lol. I wanted captain chairs and the centre console, but wifey :salute: said nnoooo.

I do have the bench and he entire seat folds down but with manual effort lol. I wanted captain chairs and the centre console, but wifey :salute: said nnoooo.

Lol, the decision for dual captain chairs required convincing and was ultimately my wife's call.
When I showed her the convenience of the power fold and middle pass through; it was an easy $500 upgrade.

Was a tough decision for me too. Platinum costs about $2,600 more than a fully-loaded Sport and gets you: quilted seats, nice covered & stitched dash, rain sensing wipers, lane keeping system, active parking and the moving lines on the screen when reversing, and the higher-wattage Sony audio. But the downside is softer handling and all that damn satin chrome trim outside.

I chose the Sport because those options don't seem worth the price, and I just didn't want to deal with blacking out all that trim and roof rails. Keeping the trim satin chrome just isn't an option for me.

What you have is the 2nd row 'bucket seats'. Captain's chairs usually come with arm rests and the buckets don't. ;):thumbsup:

Peter

before you make a decision based solely on handling, i would drive both first on some twisties. the platinum is no slouch on the curves and by no means would i consider the suspension soft. i was actually expecting a softer suspension based on various comments and marketing. unless you are wanting to really get aggressive i think it handles great. I will qualify that statement by stating I live in Cashiers/Highlands, NC. Google map that and look at our roads, there is not a straight one here. We are between 3,500' and 4,000' elevation.

that interior though!!! damn that is one nice interior. something about the genuine leather stitching on the dash, quilted door panel inserts, etc. that is so nice!!! i never saw a platinum before taking ours and my wife picked it up in birmingham 5 hours away. i was actually not expecting something so nice. i put about 400 miles on it over the holidays driving around just killing time alone and with my daughter and some of her friends and I REALLY enjoyed every second. It is actually a pleasure to drive. just feels nice.

I've now had both. The platinum is really really nice. I think the "performance" differences are almost not perceivable going from a 2013 sport to a 2016 platinum. The 2016 sport has a stiffer suspension than the older models, because the platinum fills in the gap of the 3.5 with a nice ride. The acceleration feels identical to me. I drive a lot of Ford performance vehicles. I mean a lot. It's what I do in most of my free time. I'm a guy who loves being on the track, driven Bullrun events, and off-road events in the raptor. The wife drives a SHO for her daily. I bought the explorer for my daily. Thing is, even when I'm driving my Shelby GT500, if I'm going to a track, that's what I take, so you would think stiffer the better, but that's not the case. In my first gt500 in 2008, I swapped out my stock for Eibach. It's noisy, doesn't ride well cruising around, and really made the car not pleasant. And for what? Shaving .5 seconds off a lap at any given track? If I'm racing Ina competitive class or circuit? Yeah okay. But as a simple enthusiast who likes fun AND comfort? Forget about it. If you are really having a gut check on which way to go, maybe you should consider the SHO or a Shelby. If the platinum is just a bit out of your buying budget, then, yes, you can get the base Sport, and still get some good performance out of it. I crunch numbers all the time. I would bet the platinum and the sport are within a 1% variance in performance numbers under any test you throw at them. So if you got the money, the question is really as simple as this- will that 1% be worth the comfort and features I sacrifice to go Sport? (And I loved my sport)

We looked at both. The drive wasn't much difference btw the two of them and the interior of the platinum is 100x nicer. I thought I wouldn't like the look of the exterior of the platinum due to the chrome accents but when I saw it in person that changed quickly. The handles, roof rack, grill, etc are not chrome but almost brushed aluminum. Looks extremely luxury and doesn't look like cheap chrome plastic on the other models

We went with the platinum and are very happy. The ride and quietness matches that of any luxury vehicle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We looked at both. The drive wasn't much difference btw the two of them and the interior of the platinum is 100x nicer. I thought I wouldn't like the look of the exterior of the platinum due to the chrome accents but when I saw it in person that changed quickly. The handles, roof rack, grill, etc are not chrome but almost brushed aluminum. Looks extremely luxury and doesn't look like cheap chrome plastic on the other models

We went with the platinum and are very happy. The ride and quietness matches that of any luxury vehicle
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Great choice. Enjoy the ride.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back