Stalling during idle and very low speeds. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalling during idle and very low speeds.

bdt115

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
'99 explorer 4.0 SOHC automatic 4x4 almost 200,000 miles. I just bought it and love it so far...drives great...squeaks a decent amount on the front when i drive but great ride and pretty good power. It will idle at about...maybe 750-850 rpms for maybe 30 seconds right after i start it but any other time i idle itll be about 550-600 rpms..itll stall in any gear...drive, reverse, park. Ive already changed my air filter today so maybe 25 miles on that and cleaned the throttle body out best i could. Need help quick!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a vacuum leak, check all of the rubber hoses that attach to the intake and pcv system, that's an easy first step. Welcome to the forum!

get a can of brake/parts cleaner and spray it all around you intake manifold and all your vacuum and connections while idling... if changes in rpm u might have a broken vacuum line...

Alright ill try that and let you know how it turns out. The cleaner wont hurt the engine any?

nope wont hurt... just some ol' regular brake parts cleaner :thumbsup:

it wont hurt plastic parts... on the other hand if u soak them in a bottle of cleaner it might melt the plastic but a quick spray around everything wont do anything and will evaporate quicker than u can find a puddle of the cleaner... its the oldest trick in the book to find a vacuum leak...

Back